Windows states it's shutting down at random and it doesn't have enough power to start up

ry12

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I've been having this really annoying problem with my computer recently. It's been working just fine but all of a sudden it started shutting down at random. This isn't an instant shutdown, it literally states ''Shutting Down'' and it does safely. However upon trying to reboot the system it either starts and loses power or it doesn't start at all, like it's out of juice.

What I normally do now is remove the plug, let it stay a bit and power it again later. It sometimes stays for hours, I played games with it and no problem. But It's strange because most of the time it shuts down while I'm on Chrome, but I don't think it's the problem, maybe just a coincidence.

I scanned the PC for viruses with Malware Bytes, it has no viruses.
I tried using another power cable, still same issue.
I checked the fans, they all work.
I cleaned the inside of the PC with a compressed-spray can.
I've been using the PC without any issues for the past 6-7 months, I have installed nothing else to the computer (apart from the TPLink Wifi Antennas - which I now removed).

This is what I have:
-Windows 8.1
-Evga 430W PSU (about 6-7 months old)
-GeeForce GTX 960 2GB
-Intel Core i5-2400 CPU
-8GB Ram

Solution
PULL the power supply from the motherboard and reseat it. Make sure it is well seated in the plug. You would be amazed at how common this is to shut down computer.
G

Hi!
Have you checked it with a different PSU if it looks like it's not having enough power? Though it's not sudden so I'm not so sure. It doesn't say anything else besides that it is shutting down?

ry12

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I was thinking... since the PSU is still brand new, could it be that it got worn out or something, can that happen?
I'm asking because the GTX 960 requires 400w, and my PSU is only 430w. Even though it's been working just fine, could it be that I messed it up?

Well, unfortunately I guess I'll have to try a new PSU :/ any suggestions?

Mar 31, 2018
I'm having the same problems, and thought it was Chrome, too. Problem continued after uninstalling Chrome.

I've been looking around for solutions online, searching for the same problem, and everything I've tried has not worked so far. Will give re-seating the power supply a try next. If I figure something out that works for me I'll come back and post.

So far I have attempted to make sure all drivers are up to date. Windows 10, 64 bit, tells me that they are.

Running full scan with Defender will crash it if other applications are running. Usually at about the same number of files into the scan, and about the same length of elapsed time since scan was started.

Opening several browser windows will eventually cause shutdown. Opening hundreds in Edge or Chrome will cause a shut down pretty quickly.

I disabled Superfetch service, which seemed to be causing a lot of fan racing just after start up.

For me I think the problem really started getting bad after the Intel / Microsoft Spectre fixes. I was having problems prior to then, but after that it's become quite bad.

Intel has a nice, free chip stress testing tool, which monitors temperature and provides all kinds of tests on the CPU chips. I recommend installing it. It's called "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool."

While monitoring chip temperature prior to spontaneous shutdown, I have not seen chip temperatures high enough to cause a shutdown.