Windows Store Grows Quickly With Majority of Free Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Microsoft needs to add a way for developers to easily transfer android/ ios apps into windows ones. The other thing that I would love would be a free microsoft app creator, where they give consumers an easy way to make apps in exchange for part of any profit made.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
They already take 30% of the profit, it's barely worth doing as it is. You'd have to write something special to make significant money. it's probably going to be filled with picture viewers and music players and fart apps, and other useless junk like cellphone appstores.

And as far as big download sites go, they've always been that way, it's just that now there is a lot more crap to sift through. The fact that 'official' app stores are no different makes them all the more pointless.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]Microsoft needs to add a way for developers to easily transfer android/ ios apps into windows ones. The other thing that I would love would be a free microsoft app creator, where they give consumers an easy way to make apps in exchange for part of any profit made.[/citation]MS has done everything they can to make it as easy as possible to port apps. They have some of the best dev tools out there, the rest is on the developers themselves (who hopefully didn't box themselves in with poor portability). It still takes time and effort, especially if the app was never written with multiple platforms in mind from the start.

As for consumers making apps, if you're a programmer you can make apps (for Windows, iOS, Android, whatever). If you're not, you need to learn how to code first. I don't really know what exactly you were envisioning here, but it isn't that simple.

ashwinsinghgr8

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Did anyone else hear that MS sold 4million copies in 4 days from launch and 40 million copies in a month. Well most of the common people who buy win8 really like the new interface, us developers/professionals make a very less percentage of buyers and MS is not worried about us.

I was gifted an touch enabled ultrabook by intel and a copy of Win8 by microsoft, I don't really hate Win8, at best it is a little more work to get things done in Windows8, especially when coding.

Regarding free apps, MS has gone crazy and is doomed if this is allowed. Have a look,

ashwinsinghgr8

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
[citation][nom]ashwinsinghgr8[/nom]Did anyone else hear that MS sold 4million copies in 4 days from launch and 40 million copies in a month. Well most of the common people who buy win8 really like the new interface, us developers/professionals make a very less percentage of buyers and MS is not worried about us. I was gifted an touch enabled ultrabook by intel and a copy of Win8 by microsoft, I don't really hate Win8, at best it is a little more work to get things done in Windows8, especially when coding.Regarding free apps, MS has gone crazy and is doomed if this is allowed. Have a look,[/citation]

The link

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]You'd have to write something special to make significant money.[/citation]So... how's that different from the norm? If it isn't "special", make it cheap or free + ad-supported. Anyway their 30% cut is the same as Google and Apple. Although with MS, after you hit $25k in revenue, they drop their cut to 20%.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
What ever happened to quality over quantity? This is what bugs me about my Android device. There are so many crapplets out there. It's often hard to find the good stuff buried in a sea of junk. Flashing huge numbers on my screen is not going to get me to improve my opinion of the Window 8 store especially when in the past I've had zero need for a Windows store of any kind. In fact, Microsoft's GFWL purposely got in the way and made it harder for me to use my apps in the past.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
i guess if they said they have 1 million apps ready, it's hard to believe, so they have this number that they can get away with :D

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
All this stuff about Microsoft not having decent app's is hogwash. I am one of the few who got a new Win 8 phone, I got a Nokia Lumia 820, and I think its great. There are more apps than I will ever use, there is no pandora yet, but oh well I can live with that.

But since most apps for Android and IOS are garbage anyway, WHO CARES if Microsoft only has a fraction of what they have? As long as they have the app's people use, like Facebook, office, book readers, Angry Birds etc etc it does not matter.

Of course this only relates to the Phone I cannot speak about the tablet or desktop versions.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The fear of the MSFT Store has been overstated. It is like any other online store portal, even worse if the platform is open because it lets even more fools with time to kill upload garbage. We need to get used to it. In the world market of goods, how many things are garbage, and how many are stuff you'd actually like to use? Not that much. Every online store is gonna be the same, so for now you just have to hope for big numbers growth. That way just by pure probability eventually there will be one or two that are legitimately amazing. There's also the business argument that big time developers that would dedicate time and effort to do something awesome won't waste their time until they are sure they're working for a platform that will succeed.

G

MetroRadio is a great replacement for Pandora, you can even login with your Pandora account.

G

Yes M$ get those numbers inflated with a bunch of useless free apps! Got to make the Metro/Modern Crapware UI look good, while all those pretty Tiles flash ads, and collect marketing garbage! M$ wants its closed ecosystem App Store spambot UI in everyone's face!

Status
Not open for further replies.