Windows Store Surpasses 13,000 Apps Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I wonder how many are actually useful at all to anyone. Maybe a tenth?
Either way, here's hoping to the success of the Windows Store for competitions sake!

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Thing is that most of those apps are from the Windows Phone marketplace, I still haven't seen useful apps that fully integrate into the Metro Interface without resorting to the Desktop ion some way or the other.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It won't help them. Windows 8 and WP8 are DOA[/citation]
Windows 8, maybe.. Windows Phone 8 is pretty good and I just can't stress that enough.
I'm a fandroid by default but I'm getting a Lumia 920.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It won't help them. Windows 8 and WP8 are DOA[/citation]

on the desktop, hell yea
on a notebook... not so much
notebook with a touch screen, pretty good
notebook that transforms into a tablet hell yea, perfect
on a tablet - arm - not so good, better options, but not a horrifically bad thing
on a tablet - intel - its a laptop without a built in keyboard

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They should've concentrated on Windows Store based on desktop. None of the people I installed Windows 8 for wanted metro thingy. Everybody wanted Classic Shell, to bypass metro.

ya, I think MS is not going to get a whole lot of heavy hitting apps in place.
1) apps have a bad name for being 'cheap', and big companies do not want that
2) ... there is a freaking desktop which works perfectly fine with legacy code! Why reinvent the wheel!?!?!?
3) productivity apps typically need to have heavy multitasking functionality, being able to have 2 apps up at once, with a divider that only fits in one set portion of the screen, does not cut it. Productivity apps are what is needed if apps are to take off.
4) limiting RT to apps is going to hurt the sales of RT devices, it is not going to do much to encourage RT growth.

All that said, there are a few apps I enjoy using/playing on a regular basis. But really it is only a few, all of which happen to be free apps.

G

It is no point to brag about the number of apps in Windows Store now. I have a W8 tablet and I have checked the apps in them, even the popular apps now are mostly "website" apps (such as Toms Hardware), or light weight apps that appear everywhere such as EverNote. Not even Angry Birds have been ported to W8 yet. As of now, interesting apps are extremely rare.

To be fair, this is to be expected for an app store that has not even go live for more than a month. But the urge to keep claiming the store has lots of apps while in actuality it has only filler apps is counter-productive. Give it 6 months, then look at how many actual "must-have" apps it has.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tiltowait[/nom]It is no point to brag about the number of apps in Windows Store now. I have a W8 tablet and I have checked the apps in them, even the popular apps now are mostly "website" apps (such as Toms Hardware), or light weight apps that appear everywhere such as EverNote. Not even Angry Birds have been ported to W8 yet. As of now, interesting apps are extremely rare.To be fair, this is to be expected for an app store that has not even go live for more than a month. But the urge to keep claiming the store has lots of apps while in actuality it has only filler apps is counter-productive. Give it 6 months, then look at how many actual "must-have" apps it has.[/citation]

For RT, you are right - but this may be for Windows 8 (Not Windows RT). In which case it does have Angry Birds, Jetpack Joyride (Not big into "microgames", but I've grabbed this at work and home.... One of my favorite time killers xD).

I think that if Microsoft leverages it's ecosystem (X-Box, Phone, PC) and continues to make it easier for developers to cross develop between platforms that there is a lot of promise. Of course, that means that would need to effectively leverage that advantage and possibly offer some sort of incentive for cross-platform development (free dev kits, reduced store price if application is on released on multiple platforms, with Microsoft % reducing per platform. 30% on 1, 20% on 2, and 15% on 3 platforms, maybe?)

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
The numbers game is important to unknowledable consumers. so the more apps the better.

Give it 3-6 months to see how many "real" apps come out (the ones that matter to the technical knowledgeable consumer or productivity user).

I just got the Lumia 920, and it is an excellent phone. and it has got the 90% apps that matter to me. Nokia maps/drive (excellent), Office for reading docs on the move, kindle for my books, Nokia music (brilliant service), weather, news are covered as well. Just missing an application from my bank.
Email access, social network access etc all built in.

I also use Windows 8 for desktops. nothing wrong with it. I have pinned my most used programs to the "start menu" and can hit the shortcut key for desktop if I need to go there. I mean seriously, when your computer starts up where to you go 1st? willing to bet 95% of users either go to the start menu or double click a shortcut on the desktop to launch the program they need. now you start up in the start menu that can contain all your shortcuts and most used programs (and even docs).

I swear all the haters of Win8 are just scared of anything new.

Niavlys77

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]The numbers game is important to unknowledable consumers. so the more apps the better.Give it 3-6 months to see how many "real" apps come out (the ones that matter to the technical knowledgeable consumer or productivity user). I just got the Lumia 920, and it is an excellent phone. and it has got the 90% apps that matter to me. Nokia maps/drive (excellent), Office for reading docs on the move, kindle for my books, Nokia music (brilliant service), weather, news are covered as well. Just missing an application from my bank. Email access, social network access etc all built in.I also use Windows 8 for desktops. nothing wrong with it. I have pinned my most used programs to the "start menu" and can hit the shortcut key for desktop if I need to go there. I mean seriously, when your computer starts up where to you go 1st? willing to bet 95% of users either go to the start menu or double click a shortcut on the desktop to launch the program they need. now you start up in the start menu that can contain all your shortcuts and most used programs (and even docs). I swear all the haters of Win8 are just scared of anything new.[/citation]

Agreed. Those people just love to whine, expecting others to give a crap about their petty complaints. Just a bunch of babies who need to grow up. Windows 8 is a fantastic OS, whether or not you like the "Metro" side of things.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I thought this too, until I actually used the RTM version of Windows 8. I have found it very easy to get used to with a mouse and keyboard and have also found that I like it quite a bit, even more than Windows 7. Everyone complains about Apple never reinventing themselves (iOS looks the same since v1), but then complains when Microsoft does it.

Use it, for more than a day, and NOT as VM. Run it on your main machine or secondary machine for a week or more.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I wonder how many are actually useful at all to anyone. Maybe a tenth?Either way, here's hoping to the success of the Windows Store for competitions sake![/citation]
That'd be a higher percentage than what Appstoer and Android store have so not bad

Status
Not open for further replies.