Windows takes 20 Minutes to Load

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Suddenly, about a week ago, I had not rebooted my Laptop for a week, and restarted. Upon rebooting, POST completed, and then suddenly a Black but BACKLIT screen. After 5 minutes I felt something was wrong. So I rebooted. Same thing everytime. I started freaking out, and after 6 reboots, I had to walk away. I went downstairs occupied myself for about a half hour. I came back and the windows login screen was up. So I logged in and tried to reboot again. This time I just waited, and after 25 minutes, Windows booted up. I tried over and over, rebooting many times, and everytime, POST will complete, then a black screen and hangs on the black screen for 20 minutes, then Windows loads. To add to the frustration, IN Windows, about 60-70% the attempts at loading programs result in (Not Responding) and crashes. I am getting really really frustrated. I have so much work to do, and this is completely impairing my ability to get anything done. Programs lock up, crash, Windows takes forever to boot, I need Help.

For clarification and disclosure, my system is:

HP Pavilion DV7
Intel core i7-2670QM 2.2Ghz
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Boot to windows even if it takes all day. Once you have a desktop, insert your windows7 disc and choose an "Up Grade Installation" option. This will reinstall the OS without making any changes to your files or installed programs.

verbalizer

Distinguished