Windows taking 10-15 minutes to boot from SSD

Codylgibson

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Hello,

First time poster here so sorry if this is not in the right area. I’m looking for some help for an issue that recently arised on my custom built gaming PC. The problem is that as of late my PC is taking upwards of 10-15 minutes on the ASUS black screen before finally loading Windows. Windows 10 is installed onto my PNY 120 GB SSD and worked as fast as 5-10 seconds in the past.

Here is my build:
Processor: Intel i5 6600k
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
PSU: Corsair 750 watt gold
Motherboard: ASUS z170 pro gaming
SSD: 120 GB PNY (where OS is installed)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
Case: InWin 303
Case fans: 4 white led Corsair fans
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

So far I have tried:
- Factory resetting (both with my old files and then later a clean reinstall)
- Checking both SSD and HDD for problems and sector issues. Both passed.
- Resetting my BIOS to default
- Rebooting in safe mode (still takes forever)
- Updating all Driver’s
- Took out and tried to power on with 1 ram stick and in other sockets (issue still persists)
- Eliminating start up programs

Please help! What’s also strange is that once the computer does actually load windows everything seems to run smooth as butter including running games like battlefield and rainbow six without any lag or frame rate drops.

I appreciate any and all help provided!

Codylgibson

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Codylgibson : "Slow Windows 10 boot time from restart but fast from cold boot"

I’ve noticed as of late that my computer seems to boot very fast when it is shut down and turned on by the power button, but takes upwards of 10 minutes when it restarts.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5 6600k
MSI Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming
Corsair 750 Gold PSU
Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws 16 GB RAM
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming MOBO

Thanks in advance!

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Codylgibson : "Slow Windows 10 boot time from restart but fast from cold boot"

I’ve noticed as of late that my computer seems to boot very fast when it is shut down and turned on by the power button, but takes upwards of 10 minutes when it restarts.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5 6600k
MSI Nvidia GTX 970 Gaming
Corsair 750 Gold PSU
Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws 16 GB RAM
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming MOBO

Thanks in advance!
When you boot from a computer that is shut down (not restarted) it can be very fast from a Windows 10 utility called Fast Startup. When the computer is shutdown, the systems files remain in the RAM and the System drive goes into a pseudo hibernation. When started from that state, a computer can boot in seconds; however even with a longer "none- Fast Startup boot", 10 minutes is certainly extreme. Does a restart also result in a long shutdown? Once the computer is booted up, does it continue to lag? What is the make model of the HDD/SSD you are using?

Last edited: