[SOLVED] Windows throttling ethernet speed

Jan 9, 2020
I should be getting gigabit speeds, when I test with speedtest I get around ~140mbps, fast.com shows 300ish, sometimes 400.

My NIC is set to 1.0 gbps, my network card is not the issue.

I tried a new windows installation on a spare SSD drive, the speeds were instantly 1gbps without problems. This is an issue with something in my windows.

I don't want a new windows installation unless it's 100% needed.

If you need any other info, let me know.

I feel that this is 100% a problem within my windows installation.
I feel like it's throttling, as the tests are very stable and feel like they don't want to go over a certain speed.

**Solved this issue.

I used the SG TCP Optimizer long ago (when my speeds were 150/15), I reset to default windows settings and now my speed tests immediately hit 900. **

Last edited:
Solution
If you have a second machine you can try a old program called IPERF. You should see speeds in the 900mbps range in both directions. You of want both machine connected to the router via ethernet . This will eliminate most network issues as the cause it could still be something like disk or browser based stuff. You could also copy large files between machine to eliminate the disk. You need to watch the resource monitor network tabs to get the speeds when you copy.

It maybe your router....or more the cpu in your router. Try to factory reset the router. Only set the passwords and wifi stuff. Configure as little as possible. Modern router have a hardware assist feature that allows traffic to bypass the CPU. Using...
If you have a second machine you can try a old program called IPERF. You should see speeds in the 900mbps range in both directions. You of want both machine connected to the router via ethernet . This will eliminate most network issues as the cause it could still be something like disk or browser based stuff. You could also copy large files between machine to eliminate the disk. You need to watch the resource monitor network tabs to get the speeds when you copy.

It maybe your router....or more the cpu in your router. Try to factory reset the router. Only set the passwords and wifi stuff. Configure as little as possible. Modern router have a hardware assist feature that allows traffic to bypass the CPU. Using many software feature on the router disables this and make the CPU handle all the traffic.

Solution
Jan 9, 2020
reinstall the ehternet and chipset drivers of your motherboard

check if all updates are done or any apps using bandwidth while testing

Already did these steps. Issue remains

It maybe your router....or more the cpu in your router. Try to factory reset the router. Only set the passwords and wifi stuff. Configure as little as possible. Modern router have a hardware assist feature that allows traffic to bypass the CPU. Using many software feature on the router disables this and make the CPU handle all the traffic.

I have many PCs on my network.
All of them get gigabit speeds without any issue, except mine.
It's very strange, something is throttling my windows, since my test installation had no issues.
The router is set up fine.

Will look into IPERF, thanks.

Jan 9, 2020
Solved this issue.

I used the SG TCP Optimizer long ago (when my speeds were 150/15), I reset to default windows settings and now my speed tests immediately hit 900.