Windows Update and drivers

Hi,

I'm posting from my parents Dell at the moment. I built my last machine
and no longer use a Dell.

Anyway, ran Windows Update and it lists an nVidia driver as a Critical
Update. Anyone know why or is it just a bug? I've experimented with other
drivers on this box before and it seems the most happy with the supplied
driver. I'm not sure I want to fight with this things if an updated video
driver goes bad.

Thanks for any help.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Microsoft also posted drivers for the ATI 9800 which were outdated when they
appeared. If you're happy with what you're running, ignore the Windows
update.

"Yeff" <zoomie@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting from my parents Dell at the moment. I built my last machine
> and no longer use a Dell.
>
> Anyway, ran Windows Update and it lists an nVidia driver as a Critical
> Update. Anyone know why or is it just a bug? I've experimented with
other
> drivers on this box before and it seems the most happy with the supplied
> driver. I'm not sure I want to fight with this things if an updated video
> driver goes bad.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -Jeff B.
> yeff at erols dot com

"Yeff" <zoomie@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting from my parents Dell at the moment. I built my last machine
> and no longer use a Dell.
>
> Anyway, ran Windows Update and it lists an nVidia driver as a Critical
> Update. Anyone know why or is it just a bug?

I've looked at the entire post-SP1 critical update listing and can't see
anything relevant to an nVidia card.

In any event, www.guru3d.com is where you'd be wanting to update a video
card driver.

Jeff;
It was either Nvidia or ATI, possibly both.
A fix for a blue screen was updated drivers.
The manufacturer worked with Microsoft to solve the issue.
The result was a Critical Update.

If you have no problems at all, you may want to skip, otherwise you
can get that or a later driver directly from the manufacturer if you
do not want to go the Windows Update route.

Contrary to what some say a Critical Update is not just for security
issues.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/