Windows update found 2 updates

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
...but won't install them - gets stuck. When I download one from Microsoft Update Catalog, it says "The update is not applicable to your computer." Well, why is the Windows Update trying to download it in the first place?

Next update is "Western Digital Technologies - WDC_SAM - 11/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 1.2.0.0". I could find it in the same MUC, but it's a cab file which I have no idea where to move it to "install".

Is there any way to disable just these 2 updates? If so, how? I can't find any other updates until I resolve these 2 updates, and I don't want to reinstall the OS just to give it another try. My external hard drive (the WDC_SAM driver) is working just fine, so I don't really need it, and if the update is useless - I don't need it, right?

Solution
Is this how you did it?

Download the CAB Files x86 / X64 depending upon the OS architecture
Rename file to KBnumber.сab (for example KB3176931.Cab)
Copy to folder C:\
Run command-prompt as admin (Right click on Windows icon and choose option). Check the image above.
Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\KBnumber.cab
This installs the CU CAB File. Check the screenshots below for example.
Your devices will restart once the installation is over. Else you may need to restart your PC

https://thewincentral.com/how-to-install-cab-files-on-windows-10-for-cumulative-updates/

see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed...

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018

I tried that, but it still is trying to find that driver.

I'm done with the 1st problem - I just downloaded from the catalog the wrong update...

I downloaded the .cab file for the WDC_SAM, but can't install it through the DISM. It gives me errors 2 or 3 (0x80070002 or 0x80070003) depending on situation. Any help here?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is this how you did it?

Download the CAB Files x86 / X64 depending upon the OS architecture
Rename file to KBnumber.сab (for example KB3176931.Cab)
Copy to folder C:\
Run command-prompt as admin (Right click on Windows icon and choose option). Check the image above.
Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\KBnumber.cab
This installs the CU CAB File. Check the screenshots below for example.
Your devices will restart once the installation is over. Else you may need to restart your PC

https://thewincentral.com/how-to-install-cab-files-on-windows-10-for-cumulative-updates/

see if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

2nd command is dism again, it just looks different in powershell

Solution

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
Tried that. Well, now the Device Manager can see it, so we'll see if that'll help. Not that it couldn't see it, but now it's in the "Other devices" and it has the yellow triangle, which means there is a problem with it. Will try to troubleshoot it from there.

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
How do I hide it at least? I tried running the "wushowhide.diagcab", but it gives me the the error 0x80300113. I tried both standard and UAC modes (via cmd), but nothing seems to work. And I don't think there is any other way to hide it. Am I right?

Update: Problem is resolved. On the Nth try, the Device Manager managed to download and install the driver. I'm not sure what happened.
P.S. Maybe Powershell did the magic, but I checked for it in the middle of the process, and it may have been installed yesterday. Who knows... Anyways, thanks to everyone who replied.