Windows Update goes forever

Jonas_15

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
I just did a complete clean install of windows 7, But windows update just seems to go on forever without ever finding any updates ive tried looking for solutions but nothing seems to fix my problem.

And since im not a shark at computers i would like some help to figure out a solution.

Solution
I had to restore from a year old backup. When I ran Windows Update, it took 2 hours 20 minutes to find 114 updates. I saw a post elsewhere where somebody had to let it run all night after a fresh install. Slow is too mild a word! When it finally finishes, be sure to install more than about 40 updates at a time or it'll run and run, then crash, and you'll have to do it all over again. It does try one's patience, but slow and steady wins the race - eventually!

Good luck.

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Download the latest Windows Update Agent here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104. Install and check for updates. It will still take awhile with a fresh install, but not as long as with the older update agent.

Thineswar

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
the thing with windows update is that it usually very slow, but at the end of the day, it gets the job done.
just be patient, and like rehed21 said, this being a fresh install, it takes a while for it load up all the updates as there will be quite a lot.

I had to restore from a year old backup. When I ran Windows Update, it took 2 hours 20 minutes to find 114 updates. I saw a post elsewhere where somebody had to let it run all night after a fresh install. Slow is too mild a word! When it finally finishes, be sure to install more than about 40 updates at a time or it'll run and run, then crash, and you'll have to do it all over again. It does try one's patience, but slow and steady wins the race - eventually!

Good luck.

Solution