[SOLVED] Windows update locked resolution to 480p

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I have given up on trying to 100% block windows updates. My computer runs great and only ever has any of it's issues when windows forces the garbage updates on me. It made me update today and after restarting everything is locked to 480p. I did some searching online and can only find pretty old articles and nothing that solved it. Messed with the cables and updated to the most recent GPU drivers. Any suggestions would be great. Maybe one day it will be simple to 100% stop all updates from coming thru. I don't get it, if I don't want to update, just give me the option to avoid it.

Solution
It would probably be a very good idea to do ALL of these:

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change...
Not updating is VERY easy.

Simply type services.msc in any run or search box, scroll down to the "Windows update" service, double click it and select "Disabled". However, that is not recommended as security and bug fixes are VERY important for a variety of reasons too complex to get into here.

It is an option though. The better option, is to simply disable automatic "DRIVER" updating. As follows.

Afterwards, I'd recommend doing THIS:

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Not updating is VERY easy.

Simply type services.msc in any run or search box, scroll down to the "Windows update" service, double click it and select "Disabled". However, that is not recommended as security and bug fixes are VERY important for a variety of reasons too complex to get into here.

It is an option though. The better option, is to simply disable automatic "DRIVER" updating. As follows.

Afterwards, I'd recommend doing THIS:

Thanks, the driver fix might be a better solution. I don't know what happened, but I can't even get video via HDMI on the MB. The system only recognize the GPU and nothing else and the display even changed from "LG whatever" to "generic device". Going to run thru these steps and see if it fixes. I already tried to do a system restore before the update which fixed nothing and then I went ahead and let windows update since this issue still exist.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU

Also, you can try until you are blue in the fact to get video from the motherboard output, but you never will, at least not without installing a 2200G or 2400G processor, because none of the other Ryzen processors even HAVE integrated graphics, so there is no way for the motherboard to output anything from those video ports.

You might also want to remove and reinstall the graphics card, just for shits and grins. You'd be surprised how often that magically seems to fix a lot of issues. Might actually want to do THAT first.

Also, what is the exact model number of your power supply, because I notice that is not listed on your CPU-Z specs?

Reactions: t99
Solution

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU

Also, you can try until you are blue in the fact to get video from the motherboard output, but you never will, at least not without installing a 2200G or 2400G processor, because none of the other Ryzen processors even HAVE integrated graphics, so there is no way for the motherboard to output anything from those video ports.

You might also want to remove and reinstall the graphics card, just for shits and grins. You'd be surprised how often that magically seems to fix a lot of issues. Might actually want to do THAT first.

Also, what is the exact model number of your power supply, because I notice that is not listed on your CPU-Z specs?

I'm glad you mentioned about integrated graphics, completely forgot about that. Power supply is Corsair CX750M. I removed and put the GPU back in, everything looked fine. I don't know what is up with this random no video at all thing now. Powering back on took about 10 restarts before I would get any video at all.

edit

Ok, so it's back to normal. Uninstalled outside of safe mode and then a black screen. Restart GPU 10 times and nothing, just no activity to the point the display goes off. Pull the GPU out again and then another few restarts it boots up to 1080p no issues. Reinstalled drivers and then did a few restarts, it seems to be working fine.

I am a bit confused why it didn't show any video at all for a while. Is it possible the windows update caused this somehow? I could not have attempted a fresh install even if I wanted to because it wasn't connecting to the display.

http://prntscr.com/nklkex

It also does not have the audio options for the display either. Not certain about this since I am using DVI-D to HDMI (vs HDMI - HDMI), but it shows no audio options. I have surround sound so it's not an issue, but sometimes in the past I have simply used the displays speakers by changing it here.

http://prntscr.com/nklm3s

Thanks for the help, going to assume it is fixed unless something crazy happens. Audio out working so not a big deal, but would be nice to figure out the reason.

Last edited: