windows update site freezes

I use intenet explorer to update my computer, I updated about 4 days ago and
had to cancel it about half way through the update, now everytime I try to
go to windows update the screen freezes and I have to push ctrl/alt/delete to
get out of windows update.. I can go anywhere else but windows update.. any
help out there? I use windows xp. thank-you susan

Try opening internet options,settings,view objects,R.click on each,select,
update,then close out.Try updateing from microsoft.com home page,select
windows update L. sub-menu.

"susane8162002" wrote:

> I use intenet explorer to update my computer, I updated about 4 days ago and
> had to cancel it about half way through the update, now everytime I try to
> go to windows update the screen freezes and I have to push ctrl/alt/delete to
> get out of windows update.. I can go anywhere else but windows update.. any
> help out there? I use windows xp. thank-you susan

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:860BFB1D-4B68-4987-8DC5-EA1074F9FC54@microsoft.com,
susane8162002 <susane8162002@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I use intenet explorer to update my computer, I updated about 4 days
> ago and had to cancel it about half way through the update, now
> everytime I try to go to windows update the screen freezes and I have
> to push ctrl/alt/delete to get out of windows update.. I can go
> anywhere else but windows update.. any help out there? I use windows
> xp. thank-you susan

Try enabling Automatic Updates to see if it will get you out of the loop.

Galen

Thank- you Andrew!
I opened internet explorer, but when i try anything there it freezes there
too, I don't understand what is going on . eveything seems to be working
everywhere else on my computer. I have tryed to go to the micro-soft web
site and tryed to update from there, but when i get to the update site it
freezes again.
susan
"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try opening internet options,settings,view objects,R.click on each,select,
> update,then close out.Try updateing from microsoft.com home page,select
> windows update L. sub-menu.
>
> "susane8162002" wrote:
>
> > I use intenet explorer to update my computer, I updated about 4 days ago and
> > had to cancel it about half way through the update, now everytime I try to
> > go to windows update the screen freezes and I have to push ctrl/alt/delete to
> > get out of windows update.. I can go anywhere else but windows update.. any
> > help out there? I use windows xp. thank-you susan

Thanks Galen,
I already have automatic updates turned on. I have dial up and I dont know
if that has anything to do with automatic updates,( cause im not on line all
the time.)
I have it set for 1 am to update and i thought that it should automaticly
update when i go online in the morning, but it hasn't done that, so i always
check for updates myself. susan
"Galen" wrote:

> In news:860BFB1D-4B68-4987-8DC5-EA1074F9FC54@microsoft.com,
> susane8162002 <susane8162002@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I use intenet explorer to update my computer, I updated about 4 days
> > ago and had to cancel it about half way through the update, now
> > everytime I try to go to windows update the screen freezes and I have
> > to push ctrl/alt/delete to get out of windows update.. I can go
> > anywhere else but windows update.. any help out there? I use windows
> > xp. thank-you susan
>
> Try enabling Automatic Updates to see if it will get you out of the loop.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:46394439-9142-44C0-B490-47B8D55B1245@microsoft.com,
susane8162002 <susane8162002@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks Galen,
> I already have automatic updates turned on. I have dial up and I dont
> know if that has anything to do with automatic updates,( cause im not
> on line all the time.)
> I have it set for 1 am to update and i thought that it should
> automaticly update when i go online in the morning, but it hasn't
> done that, so i always check for updates myself. susan
> "Galen" wrote:

Try this:

Change the settings to have it happen at the next top of the next hour.
Leave your PC on and connected to the internet.
Have lunch.
Come back in a couple hours and see if it's downloading and installing the
updates.

So, if it's 11:30 AM when you get this then set it to download at noon for
instance...

I suppose you could watch it or do what ever else you'd like to do until you
see it either start or not. I'm afraid that it doesn't connect automatically
for you nor does it turn on the PC to do them. Too bad that it doesn't
really. Perhaps the next version of the OS or the next Service Pack will
address that?

Galen

Hello Galen,
I found the automatic update file and wanted to change the update time, but
when i click on it, it won't let me in the file for some reason. I am at a
loss.
susan

In news:4970A94A-3C06-498C-B91B-2118E1F2662D@microsoft.com,
susane8162002 <susane8162002@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello Galen,
> I found the automatic update file and wanted to change the update
> time, but when i click on it, it won't let me in the file for some
> reason. I am at a loss.

The only referrences I can find to a case like yours give me a fix that I
have no idea if it will work or not. It doesn't strike me as the first
logical step but it's a painless step if nothing else. The idea behind the
fix is to just to a restore installation of Internet Explorer. (No, not of
the whole OS and no settings, files, or anything will be lost by this
process.) You can try it if you'd like though I don't know if it will work.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express ...:

Galen

susane8162002 wrote:
> I use intenet explorer to update my computer, I updated about 4 days
> ago and had to cancel it about half way through the update, now
> everytime I try to go to windows update the screen freezes and I have
> to push ctrl/alt/delete to get out of windows update.. I can go
> anywhere else but windows update.. any help out there? I use windows
> xp. thank-you susan

Susane,
If still have same problem, then look on your system drive (usually C ) and look at the Windows folder name. Like Windows or WINNT.
Modify following as appropriate.
If your Windows folder is C:\Windows. Look at this folder
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

If you find files in there, delete them. That folder is where files are stored from W U downloads.
Theory here is that it might need a fresh start.

As I see you may be on dialup, give Automatic Updates & Windows updates a chance at using idle time on your pc. eg, if you see it kick in at the "system notification area" , then, let it have a go.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User