[SOLVED] Windows update we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes - Windows 10 version 2004

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Hi All,

So I have gone through Youtube videos and tutorials but so far I have had no luck so I am hoping for some help here. I wanted to update to the latest version of Windows 21H1 so as normal I went onto windows update to check for updates and there was an update named 2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB5005565) I downloaded this and tryed to update but kept getting the above error in the title everytime the pc would restart to do the update. It would do the 30% and restart and jump very fast to 92% and the give me that error message.

Below are the things that I have tried so far:

1. Boot into safe mode and uninstall most recent windows update (this failed when trying to uninstall again when it rebooted with the blue windows screen it gave me the above error).
  2. Delete the sub folders in software distribution in C drive
  3. Run the troubleshooter for windows update
  4. Ran CMD with the following command - DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
I would really appreciate your help with this. Also I have over 500GB storage on my SSD so storage is not an issue here.

Solution
try resetting back to a previous Restore Point from before the first attempt at updating.
if none available; either start creating regular Restore Points or use your own backup software to create them.
for now you may need to reinstall.