[SOLVED] Windows User Log-on Failed

Jan 31, 2021
Hi all,

I've recently built a computer for a friend, where I used a 1tb ssd and a 1tb hdd. I had selected the wrong drive when deciding to put windows on the ssd, meaning that the os went to the ssd. I then unplugged the hdd and installed windows 10 on the ssd, then plugged in the hdd and deleted the filew.

My friend reported the computer having constant fps stutters and the pc being overall slow, so I looked at task manager and saw that the hdd was active, when he had not installed anything on it, meaning that the hdd had overwritten the ssd.

I have had him remove the hdd, so I could replace it with a spare I had, then when he booted it showed windows but when he clicked the sign in button it showed a blue screen saying "No Windows User log-on" meaning the hdd had truely overwritten the ssd. I now need help trying to get into windows, since nothing I know will fix this with the hard-drive out of the system

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Sounds like the HDD is where the boot sector is (by mistake). Personally, I would start from scratch and completely re-install Windows with only the SSD installed.

I would further recommend you remove all partitions from the HDD BEFORE placing it back into the system. Use something like GParted to perform this task.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like the HDD is where the boot sector is (by mistake). Personally, I would start from scratch and completely re-install Windows with only the SSD installed.

I would further recommend you remove all partitions from the HDD BEFORE placing it back into the system. Use something like GParted to perform this task.

Solution