[SOLVED] Windows Vista Update Problems

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
I decided to install Windows Vista [x64] on an extra hard drive for a fun project to work on, but am having a very confusing set of problems that I can't seem to work out.

Whenever I try to check for updates via Windows Update, it flickers to the "checking for updates" screen very briefly before immediately reporting "no updates found". The OS has not ever been updated before, and nothing is listed under the "installed updates" page, so I know this cannot be true. I cannot install updates manually via .msu files either, as they report "The update is not applicable to your computer". This happens with all updates. I have already tried [sfc /scannow] and various ways to reset the Windows Update components, but to no avail. My only guess is that I used a bad .iso and need to reinstall the OS.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
I cannot install the .msu files, as they report the same "does not apply" error as before.

I know that the Windows Update Agent itself is out of date simply by appearance, [Shown Here] as well as by checking the version number of wuaueng.dll. It reports as version 7.0.6002.18005, whereas the current version is 7.6.7600.256. The problem is, I cannot seem to manually install the newer version from Microsoft's website, because it reports: "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed."

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
I cannot install the .msu files, as they report the same "does not apply" error as before.

I know that the Windows Update Agent itself is out of date simply by appearance, [Shown Here] as well as by checking the version number of wuaueng.dll. It reports as version 7.0.6002.18005, whereas the current version is 7.6.7600.256. The problem is, I cannot seem to manually install the newer version from Microsoft's website, because it reports: "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed."
Have you found a solution? I can post a link that will help you like it did me.

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
Have you found a solution? I can post a link that will help you like it did me.
There's also this problem, which I believe is connected:
IMG_20200521_214044061.jpg