[SOLVED] Windows will not boot after new cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_160

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Recently I installed a new cooler for my CPU. I started my computer, the Asus logo popped up and the dots started to circle, then it froze. The computer then restarted and the ASUS logo popped up again with Preparing AUtomatic Repair tool... where it froze again before shutting down.
I checked Bios and it is recognizing my CPU

I then downloaded a recover drive off of another computer, download it to a thumb drive and tried to start it from that(the boot manager). However I was brought to another screen that said Your PC /Device needs to be repaired and that the code integrity failed to initialize.I went through the entire list of options in the startup options with the same results. I then tried to boot off of thumb drive (this time the option without boot manager). It loaded to the windows logo and then froze there.

I then downloaded the media creation tool onto a thumb drive. I attempted to boot it from that point. When selected it shows just the windows logo, and then freezes at that point.
I not really sure what else to do at this point, any suggestions?

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
SSD Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HD Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Turbo EVO GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Retail - USB 32/64-bit

UPDATE
I tried booting from another hard drive that I had windows 8 on it, with the same issues.
starting to think that this is a motherboard issues
The motherboard version is B250M Pro4 P1.50

I will get back on the BIOS version.
I installed the SE-224-XTS Id cooling. However after having these issues I went back to the stock fan that came with the CPU, but still have the same issues.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Windows will not boot after new cooler
Recently I installed a new cooler for my CPU
the ASUS logo popped up

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Please include the BIOS version for your motherboard. Since you installed a new cooler, please mention the cooler's used before and after the upgrade.

Christopher_160

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Windows will not boot after new cooler
Recently I installed a new cooler for my CPU
the ASUS logo popped up

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Please include the BIOS version for your motherboard. Since you installed a new cooler, please mention the cooler's used before and after the upgrade.
Understood updated the post

Lutfij

Titan
You have BIOS updates pending. I'm also curious to learn how you installed the backplate for the aftermarket cooler on the board(?). Often times an anomaly can happen when you've tightened down the cooler too tight, installed the backplate in the wrong manner(to cause a short, of sorts). It could also be that your OS is corrupt. FYI, transplanting a drive with an OS preinstalled often times might go sideways if the platforms(chipsets) are not the same.

How old is the PSU in your build?

Jan 1, 2023
If the cooler is the only thing you changed, I would try and reseat your cpu. For cpus that use an LGA socket, they can be finicky with mounting pressure. Check that there isn't any bent pins on the motherboard, then reinstall the cpu making sure not to tighten one side of the cooler more than the other.

Christopher_160

Honorable
May 23, 2017
If the cooler is the only thing you changed, I would try and reseat your cpu. For cpus that use an LGA socket, they can be finicky with mounting pressure. Check that there isn't any bent pins on the motherboard, then reinstall the cpu making sure not to tighten one side of the cooler more than the other.
Yeup that was it, bent motherboard pins, and tried to bend them back and it got worse, the screen was back. Wind up getting a new motherboard and CPU.
Motherboard was old, so that probably didnt help and that was the first time I took out the CPU in 6 years.
Got a pretty good upgrade though!

Reactions: Sirflappington
Status
Not open for further replies.