Windows Will NOT Install

TiteBugit

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
My PC will not install Windows. I've tried multiple windows installation media. Cd and usb, they just don't work. My computer installs Windows 10 perfectly fine, until it starts "installing features" or updates. Then it says "Your PC ran into a problem. We'll restart it for you". It gets really annoying, and I don't know how to fix it. When I try installing Windows 8 or 7 it says I'm missing something but I haven't even installed an is yet. Maybe I should try installing ubuntu? Maybe my hard drive is faulty? I'm open to all suggestions, thanks

Solution

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings, TiteBugit:

Option 1:
a) If you have an anti-virus program (Norton, McAfee etc), uninstall it completely. You can re-install it later. This will probably require a restart to take effect.
b) Open the Settings app and select Update & Security. Click Recovery in the menu to the left and then 'Advanced startup'. This will launch Advanced Startup where you can select to boot from a USB. Insert the bootable USB and restart.
c) When Windows Setup says it needs to restart, and it will show a countdown bar, stay alert and remove the USB the moment countdown bar reaches zero.

Option 2:
a) Click 'Reset this PC' instead of 'Advanced startup', and select the option to erase everything. This allows you to perform a clean install. You will, of course, lose everything in the process.
b) Insert the bootable USB and start the PC. Your PC will start from the USB because there's no OS on your harddisk.
c) Windows Setup may give you an error message to the effect that your harddisk is the wrong type (GPT or MBR). If so, select 'Delete' and the 'Format'. This will allow you to progress. And stay alert when the countdown ends.

Note If your problem persists, use Advanced Startup to launch the BIOS menu and check the boot order. Make sure it's HDD First. You only need to boot from the USB once (and you can select this in Advanced Startup), so there's no reason to change this boot order permanently.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Try installing Windows 10 with your system completely disconnected from the internet. Only after it is completely installed and you restart your computer a couple of times, then connect your system to the internet and let it update. This should work.

TiteBugit

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016

I have no OS installed yet, so basically none of these solutions would work since I have no OS installed on my system.

Try installing Windows 10 with your system completely disconnected from the internet. Only after it is completely installed and you restart your computer a couple of times, then connect your system to the internet and let it update. This should work.

Solution