Windows will not load!

Im obviously using a separate computer.

Today i did a forsaken registry cleanup on my hp computer, Windows XP
home, using a program I had just downloaded from download.com. It
scanned and I deleted the corrupt files that apparently were useless,
about 550. It tells me to reboot, I do, and then the screen comes up
saying, "Windows cannot load, Windows\System32\config\system is
missing." Is that an entire folder?

So I try to reboot and press f8 and restore to previously known good
point in time, but the restore.sjv or svj file is missing. The computer
didn't come new with any boot cd's so I don't know what I can do. I'd
prefer not to lose all my files if that were possible...
Little help?

Your best bet is to reinstall Windows XP Home. Doing so will not wipe out your
files... Ben Myers

On 20 Feb 2005 19:16:25 -0800, hoodlum2000@hotmail.com wrote:

>Im obviously using a separate computer.
>
>Today i did a forsaken registry cleanup on my hp computer, Windows XP
>home, using a program I had just downloaded from download.com. It
>scanned and I deleted the corrupt files that apparently were useless,
>about 550. It tells me to reboot, I do, and then the screen comes up
>saying, "Windows cannot load, Windows\System32\config\system is
>missing." Is that an entire folder?
>
>So I try to reboot and press f8 and restore to previously known good
>point in time, but the restore.sjv or svj file is missing. The computer
>didn't come new with any boot cd's so I don't know what I can do. I'd
>prefer not to lose all my files if that were possible...
>Little help?

I can't even remember what the name of the registry cleaner was, I had
just downloaded it. However the trial version let you delete 30, then
you had to do it 3 at a time. I recommend staying clear of them unless
you know they're reputable...

The problem is even when i try to use the HP restore by pressing f10, I
get the error message "Error 2: c:\minint\system32\restore.svg
missing." So I can't even resinstall windows seeing as how no CD's came
with it. I'm emailing HP trying to figure it out.

How about telling us all which software you used as a registry cleanup program,
so we can all avoid it !!!! ... Ben Myers

On 20 Feb 2005 19:16:25 -0800, hoodlum2000@hotmail.com wrote:

>Im obviously using a separate computer.
>
>Today i did a forsaken registry cleanup on my hp computer, Windows XP
>home, using a program I had just downloaded from download.com. It
>scanned and I deleted the corrupt files that apparently were useless,
>about 550. It tells me to reboot, I do, and then the screen comes up
>saying, "Windows cannot load, Windows\System32\config\system is
>missing." Is that an entire folder?
>
>So I try to reboot and press f8 and restore to previously known good
>point in time, but the restore.sjv or svj file is missing. The computer
>didn't come new with any boot cd's so I don't know what I can do. I'd
>prefer not to lose all my files if that were possible...
>Little help?

Yes, but it would help others to know which lousy piece of software you used.

Your best bet, if this is a computer bought recently, is to telephone HP and
request the restore media.

If you don't want to wait for HP to respond and send you the restore media (if
they will even do so), go to the nearest mass market store (Best Buy, Circuit
City, Frys, Walmart, Staples, Office Max) and buy another copy of Windows XP.
If you happen to have the install CD from any other version of Windows, you can
buy the "upgrade" version of XP Home for about $90. The non-upgrade version,
intended for installation on a virgin hard drive, costs more. Or take your
computer to a reputable service shop and ask them to fix the mess. It'll cost
you maybe the same amount... Ben Myers

On 21 Feb 2005 13:10:49 -0800, hoodlum2000@hotmail.com wrote:

>I can't even remember what the name of the registry cleaner was, I had
>just downloaded it. However the trial version let you delete 30, then
>you had to do it 3 at a time. I recommend staying clear of them unless
>you know they're reputable...
>
>The problem is even when i try to use the HP restore by pressing f10, I
>get the error message "Error 2: c:\minint\system32\restore.svg
>missing." So I can't even resinstall windows seeing as how no CD's came
>with it. I'm emailing HP trying to figure it out.

Latest posts