[SOLVED] Windows Won't Boot Anymore

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
So yesterday I decided to clone my OS from my 500 GB SSD to my NVME drive and factory reset my entire system to start fresh. I did all that, it took half a day as expected. After the factory reset, I started windows just fine. I then physically installed another SATA SSD to my setup and installed a new GPU. Again, started up my pc just fine. I installed all my programs and a couple games. I also partitioned / initialized my new SSD. After this I did an update for windows that required a restart. As soon as I did that, my pc now won't boot. I get the "boot configuration data is missing" with the error code 0xc00000f. I made sure in my bios that the NVME with Windows was the first drive to boot. I tried the whole USB Windows install to try to have Windows auto-repair, but that doesn't work. So I installed a 2nd Windows OS on the 500 GB SATA SSD just to get on my computer.

I think I've narrowed down the problem to 2, but I could be completely wrong since this is above my pc knowledge.
A) When I partitioned or setup my new SSD, I messed up something with that because I renamed some drives. Here's what my drives look like:
View: https://imgur.com/a/SObeB6J

• Disk 0 is the 500 GB SATA SSD that I had to put the 2nd Windows on just to log on to my computer.
  • Disk 3 is the NVME drive that has the Windows I want to use but won't boot up. Even after I set to boot first in my BIOS. It used to be my C drive by default, now it's not.

B) The Windows update I downloaded messed something up.

Solution
When I right click H drive, the "Mark Partition as Active" is grayed out?
You probably did right-click on a wrong partition. "Mark Partition as Active" can be grey only on a partition, that already is Active.
Also I did the command prompt (not great with understanding command prompts) but now I have it when I restart my computer, I have to choose between Windows 10 on Volume 10 or Volume 3. Volume 10 brings be back to the original Windows, so there's progress!
Probably syntax of bcdboot command used was different than suggested.
For example, if you executed
bcdboot F:\windows
instead of
bcdboot F:\windows /s H:
On Disk 0 windows is installed in UEFI mode.

On Disk 3 windows is installed in legacy mode. Active partition is set wrong. Set H: partition active.

If still can't boot from Disk 3, then execute from elevated command prompt:

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
On Disk 0 windows is installed in UEFI mode.

On Disk 3 windows is installed in legacy mode. Active partition is set wrong. Set H: partition active.

If still can't boot from Disk 3, then execute from elevated command prompt:

Also I did the command prompt (not great with understanding command prompts) but now I have it when I restart my computer, I have to choose between Windows 10 on Volume 10 or Volume 3. Volume 10 brings be back to the original Windows, so there's progress!

Last edited:
You probably did right-click on a wrong partition. "Mark Partition as Active" can be grey only on a partition, that already is Active.
Probably syntax of bcdboot command used was different than suggested.
For example, if you executed
bcdboot F:\windows
instead of

Solution