[SOLVED] Windows won't boot / stuck at CLASSPNP.SYS

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi guys, please i need some help.

Last night there was a 0.1 second power fluctuation and I was using my laptop on "power" only. (without battery)

So all electricity just went off for 0.1 sec and went back on but my pc shut down, and since that, it's not booting at all.. And the laptop heats up like crazy when trying to boot itself. Very unusual

OS is : win 7 64x

I've tried :
Booting with win 7 usb drive - (Stuck in boot)
Booting with win 10 usb drive - (BSOD : DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG)
Booting on safe mode - (stuck at \windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS)

I literally can't even format my pc, what is wrong with it? Please help.

Solution
If I'm not mistaken it's actually stuck at whatever follows classpnp.sys since the display shows whats successfully loaded. In any case, I might try a few hands-on solutions:

if you can get the laptop open enough to reveal these components, first (with no battery and unplugged from the wall) re-seat the memory sticks. Reset the BIOS by gently removing a coin cell battery (in some laptops you'll see it enclosed in a plastic shell and attached by way of a cable).

If you can't get your HDD to boot still, remove the drive and try to boot from install media. This will tell you if your HDD is causing a problem. The easier case to fix would be if it boots, in which case you may simply need to replace the drive (maybe upgrade to a SATA...
If I'm not mistaken it's actually stuck at whatever follows classpnp.sys since the display shows whats successfully loaded. In any case, I might try a few hands-on solutions:

if you can get the laptop open enough to reveal these components, first (with no battery and unplugged from the wall) re-seat the memory sticks. Reset the BIOS by gently removing a coin cell battery (in some laptops you'll see it enclosed in a plastic shell and attached by way of a cable).

If you can't get your HDD to boot still, remove the drive and try to boot from install media. This will tell you if your HDD is causing a problem. The easier case to fix would be if it boots, in which case you may simply need to replace the drive (maybe upgrade to a SATA SSD while you're at it). Of course if it still won't go, the power interruption did something to the laptop itself.

What's the make and model, anyway?

Solution

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017

If you can't get your HDD to boot still, remove the drive and try to boot from install media. This will tell you if your HDD is causing a problem. The easier case to fix would be if it boots, in which case you may simply need to replace the drive (maybe upgrade to a SATA SSD while you're at it). Of course if it still won't go, the power interruption did something to the laptop itself.

What's the make and model, anyway?

I'll get right on these steps.

Model is : Toshiba Satellite C660

So do I use my portable hdd as boot device for windows after removing the hdd inside the laptop? Or just check if it boots with a 8gb windows installer usb stick. Can it boot with no hdd?

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
It should boot to the installer (obviously you won't be able to go further with no drive present but this is just a test to determine the cause of the hang)

Success, reinstalled bios, ram, no avail, removed HDD, and booted with original win 7 dvd, and it booted just fine to the windows installation screen.

I bought a new sata 3 ssd today, but wondering if i can extract the data left on this faulty HDD, can i just plug it into my desktop computer and remove it's contents? after all it won't be a "boot drive" in my desktop setup.