[SOLVED] Windows won't charge my headset

PauloHenrique

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
I hope someone can help me because this is driving me nuts:

I've recently upgraded from a i7 2600 to a R5 5600X and got all the goodies and baddies with it, one of those being the fact that my Sony Wireless headset (ps3) no longer charges from my usb ports.
I've tested with different cables, tested the ports, and for some reason my computer refuses to charge ONLY this device, since my wireless (now only wired) mouse uses the same mini usb port, but doesn't share the same problem.

I can assure that the problem is not the device itself since it can charge from wall chargers and, for some hell of a reason, any usb port while in the BIOS, but as soon as i hit the windows splash screen, it shuts off.
Also, when i plug it in, i get maybe 4 seconds of charge and the sound of usb plugging in, then it goes dark again. I'm using a B550m DS3H with the latest Windows 10 Pro build.

By using USB Device Tree Viewer, i can ensure that the OS can identify the device as connected even after the port stops feeding power to it.

Solution
Overtaken by events but just for the record...... :)

Just in case the problem re-appears.

==================

For much more information open Powershell and run the following "Get"

Get-PnPDevice | Format-List

(You should be able to copy and paste in the above cmdlet.)

Likely to be a lengthy output.

Scroll through the output looking at Caption and Description to find your Sony headset.

Compare the other properties to known working USB devices and audio devices.

You may find some difference that narrows down the charging failure.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it work in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

as that would tell me if its a windows problem or software

if it works in safe mode,
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

PauloHenrique

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Does it work in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

as that would tell me if its a windows problem or software

if it works in safe mode,
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

The problem persisted, but just like in the BIOS, while in the "Choose safe mode" step, the port keeps feeding power to the device. But it turned off as soon as I chose it.

I've also tried turning off XHCI Hand-off, but nothing changed

PauloHenrique

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Did you clean install win 10 when you swapped CPU? If you didn't, windows could be using all the wrong drivers for the wrong motherboard.
Yes, including the system reserved partitions. It's a completely fresh windows installation, about 3 days old. My guess was the usb drivers too, but there are no separate drivers on gigabyte website for me to reinstall/update.

PauloHenrique

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Nevermind, must be a loose connection from the front io to the mobo. If the other usb port is connected to something (even a usb cable that is not connected to anything) the device stops charging or breaks the connection entirely (device manager reports a faulty driver)

you might go into windows control panel, device manager, find the usb device hub or port it is on , select properties, find the power management tab
and uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

I am just thinking that if no data is going do the device then window might think it is ok to power down the hub or port.
new bios have setting that do that also. (requirement by EU regulations to save power ) you might have to disable it in bios)

Reactions: PauloHenrique

PauloHenrique

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
you might go into windows control panel, device manager, find the usb device hub or port it is on , select properties, find the power management tab
and uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

I am just thinking that if no data is going do the device then window might think it is ok to power down the hub or port.
new bios have setting that do that also. (requirement by EU regulations to save power ) you might have to disable it in bios)

I had tried that already, figured it was windows shutting it down since it has no data transmission through usb, but the problem persisted. Also, there was no option for that in the bios.

usb drivers built into windows

physical makes sense.

And physical was the answer. I dont know how it was working, at least limited, before, but I just unplugged from the mobo and plugged it back, now both ports work with no problems.
Thanks for the attention guys

Ralston18

Titan
Overtaken by events but just for the record...... :)

Just in case the problem re-appears.

==================

For much more information open Powershell and run the following "Get"

Get-PnPDevice | Format-List

(You should be able to copy and paste in the above cmdlet.)

Likely to be a lengthy output.

Scroll through the output looking at Caption and Description to find your Sony headset.

Compare the other properties to known working USB devices and audio devices.

You may find some difference that narrows down the charging failure.

Solution