Windows wont load anymore

Darcrular

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
So as of yesterday i had a perfectly running pc using windows 10, but i was running low on space on my ssd that has windows on it. So i decided to pick up a new larger ssd after work and install it for more space. I then got home and all i did was litterally plug the power and sata cord into the new ssd and when i powered the pc on i went to bios to make sure the boot order was still correct it showed the new ssd and the other drives fine and in the right order so i proceeded to start it up, and it was stuck on the windows 10 logo with a spinning circle beneath it for hours.

So i then attempted to troubleshoot it. I took out everything i recently installed, but it didnt help, i tried switching cords and locations of the sata cord for my ssd with windows on it. I tried taking out all harddrives but the main windows ssd, all to no avail. The sad thing is i upgraded to windows 10 so i have no disk to try and do a repair for it. My mind is blown how simply plugging in a new ssd could cause so much trouble when i changed nothing else.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD, your choice.

take everything out except normal ssd
go into bios and change boot order so usb or dvd first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if that doesn't fix it ...

when you originally installed win 10, did you have other drives in PC? win 10 can put parts of itself on other drives and if you add/remove the drives it may lose the part it normally boots from. Long answer: it can put its boot partition on another drive and if its moved or order changed, it can decide not to boot

you might have to do this:
put all the drives in PC again
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
follow this from step 3: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm

Darcrular

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Yes currently the new (larger) ssd isnt hooked up atall just my original set up

What do you expect you plugged in a second SSD drive with Uefi capability.

Go into your bios setup of the motherboard.
Make sure that the advanced settings mode is selected of the bios.

Go to your boot order of devices bios setup page.
Make sure CSM is enabled, and set the order to Legacy / Uefi mode for drive booting and hardware detection.

Check in the first main list of boot devices for the system listed from 1 to 6 slots that the SSD drive with the boot able windows os install on it is selected as the first boot device.

Now scroll down the page, and you should see two more entries listed for boot able devices.
1 and 2 numbered.

select 1
And press enter

You should see a list of devices with the SSD displayed as a selection select it.
And the number one 1. should then list the SSD drive.

Save the new changes made in the bios before you exit it.

See if the system then boots of the first SSD drive windows was installed on.

If you get any message of no boot device found, or are met with a single flashing underscore in the top left of the display screen, or monitor image.

It means you need to change the mode in the bios that the sata ports are set to, from Sata to Ahci mode to allow booting.
The same also applies if windows begins to boot, but then gets stuck on the windows loading ring displayed on windows 10.

Often the first boot order list you see in the bios listed from 1 to 6 devices is for legacy hardware devices or drives.

The two choices or listing from 1 to 2 devices is the boot order for Uefi hardware enabled devices or drives.

Where selecting in CSM mode and the order of legacy / Uefi allows both types of hardware to be detected and booted from by the bios.

Darcrular

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

I went through your suggestions, and i did checked/did everything aside from the piece where you said "Now scroll down the page, and you should see two more entries listed for boot able devices.
1 and 2 numbered.

select 1
And press enter"
I did not see anything like that, the only thing down the page was the boot devices numbered and they are already in the correct order.