Question Windows won't start after system restore

Jul 10, 2019
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me here.

I started my pc today, logged into windows, my desktop loaded up normally but after a few seconds, while programs were loading up, my monitor went to sleep and my mouse and keyboard lost connection.

I held down power button, turned it on again and the same thing happened. I then did a system restore since a windows update had installed last night. Windows said the system restore was successful and I restarted the pc.

Then, my motherboard loadscreen showed the Asus Republic of Gamers logo with the messages: Preparing automatic repair, Diagnosing your pc, Attempting repairs. A windows screen then came up saying Automatic repairs could not repair your pc. Now I am stuck in this loop. I suspected it may be a usb issue from another thread with someone having similar issues. I tried restarting with only the keyboard plugged in as well as with nothing at all plugged in. Neither worked. I have read that the CSM may be causing some issues but I wanted to ask for help before trying anything else.

PC specs

OS windows 10 home
SSD samsung 850 evo 250gb
MOBO asus rog strix b350f
CPU amd r5 1600
RAM 16gb gskill trizentz rgb 3200
GPU pny gtx 1060 6gb
PSU evga g3 650 gold

Thanks!

Jul 10, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me here.

I started my pc today, logged into windows, my desktop loaded up normally but after a few seconds, while programs were loading up, my monitor went to sleep and my mouse and keyboard lost connection.

I held down power button, turned it on again and the same thing happened. I then did a system restore since a windows update had installed last night. Windows said the system restore was successful and I restarted the pc.

Then, my motherboard loadscreen showed the Asus Republic of Gamers logo with the messages: Preparing automatic repair, Diagnosing your pc, Attempting repairs. A windows screen then came up saying Automatic repairs could not repair your pc. Now I am stuck in this loop. I suspected it may be a usb issue from another thread with someone having similar issues. I tried restarting with only the keyboard plugged in as well as with nothing at all plugged in. Neither worked. I have read that the CSM may be causing some issues but I wanted to ask for help before trying anything else.

PC specs

OS windows 10 home
SSD samsung 850 evo 250gb
MOBO asus rog strix b350f
CPU amd r5 1600
RAM 16gb gskill trizentz rgb 3200
GPU pny gtx 1060 6gb
PSU evga g3 650 gold

Thanks!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Oops, I had forgotten that you have to be able to at least boot into Windows 10 before trying a Windows 10 Repair Install.

I could have sworn that you could boot from the USB media and then chosen to "upgrade" (which is a real upgrade if you're changing versions). I do not have a machine on which I can test this out at the moment.