Question Windows won't update FocalTech USB fingerprint reader driver. Can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Today I used the FocalTech USB fingerprint reader, and the windows automatically installed driver version 1.0.3.58 dated 11/29/2019. However, there is a newer driver version 3.5.7911.3546 dated 8/31/2023 as per this Microsoft catalog Microsoft Update Catalog.

I download the driver as .cab and extracted the files using WinRAR, from Device Manager I try to update the driver, but it says, "the best drivers for your device are already installed".

May I know a better way to update the driver?

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
In the extracted files are there any installation files/instructions?

Update your post to include a list of the extracted files.
Thanks for your reply. Here is a screenshot of the contents.

gdGuVHf.png

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Right click on the *.inf file and then install or the other method, go to device manager, right click on the device, update driver, manual install, have disk, then browse to the driver folder location.
When I am updating through the device manager, I get this message ""the best drivers for your device are already installed". However, I right clicked and installed the .inf and it threw a successful message, but when I check the driver version in device manager it is still showing the old version which was installed by Windows Update.

The current driver version which was installed by Windows Update.

VlIs37j.png

4c7fIDh.png

The latest driver from Microsoft Catalog which I can't update it. All versions of the driver can be found on this website as well.

https://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion/database/biometrics/focaltech/fingerprint-reader/

XDrERzN.png

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
I managed to force update the driver, but unfortunately it didn't work with my fingerprint reader, although it's stated as compatible.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Why are you updating the driver? Is there a problem with the fingerprint reader using the current driver?
No issue with the current driver, but I saw a very recent one and thought it might work better on windows 11. But it turned out the current one which is from 2019 is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.