Question Windows wouldn’t boot now takes forever to boot?

Mar 7, 2023
SOLVED

so after a bunch of fiddling around, I realized 2 of my drives weren’t showing up cause the SATA column was disabled(when m.2 is used, mobo disables SATA port 5 and 6, vise versa) and the other two were dead. Found this out plugging them into an HDD to USB adapter. The dead ones would only show up as the system reserve partition. I think my Psu did some sort of surge and killed them. Power surge must’ve somehow wiped my SSD’s contents, yet left it alive. Measured the connectors, and they were all giving normal voltages. Plugged the working hard drives in and they worked on them too. Makes sense as to why the pc took years to load up cause bios and windows were tripping over these dead drives. Bios probs took ages to load trying to mount the broken drives, and windows took ages loading trying to repair them. And when it wouldn’t work and restarted, it would repeat the process. Don’t think PSU was affected by it, but should prob look for another one. My diagnosis of bad storage was right, but on the wrong drive💀.

So I was going to post about a problem with windows, but the problem has changed. A while ago I turned off my computer, cause the flooring in my room was being redone. Computer was shut off, and put on the dining table. Not touched. After a good week or two, I move everything back in, and when I turned on my pc, it would post, but then say boot device not found” after that, I thought maybe windows got magically erased, and used a spare usb with windows on it to try and redownload it. Upon getting to where it will be installed, my ssd is no where to be found on the list of drives. Thinking my ssd is dead, since it has no led or indicator of some sort, I order a new ssd. While waiting for the new one, I mess around with the pc and the old ssd, and it pops up. I try downloading windows on it, and after the restart, it stays on the spinning logo for ages, before it says “fixing volume” followed by a code which I guess is a part or piece of info that got corrupted? But after the wait on that, which is a good hour, the pc restarts and goes back into the same thing. After the new ssd gets here, I install windows there too, only to get the same problem. Now I’m out of ideas. Decided to replace motherboard, since loading into anything after post, like bios, boot sequence, or even just going to the bootable drive, would take ages. Will sit on logo for a good five minutes before responding to f11 for boot sequence, del for bios, or to just load to a drive. New mobo comes in, loads fast, but windows still won’t load. Then that mobo also gets the long response time same day. Was going to post a picture of the fixing volume issue, but the pc decided to actually work, taking 20 minutes, and finish the windows installation, and let me get on it. I made a fresh new windows usb, in case the windows on it was corrupt, and plan to use it soon. But the new problem remains. Besides. 3 of my four hard drive not showing up, it’s slow in boot time. I don’t have the best storage out there, but last time I checked, an M.2 NVME SSD with DRAM shouldn’t take 10 minutes to load into windows, especially when my old ssd, that I ripped out a now 7 year old thinkpad, used to boot up in 10 seconds. So what to I do? Absolutely lost as to the problem

my specs are
Ryzen 5 1600
EVGA RTX 3050
Crucial 1 X 16GB 2400MHZ
MSI A-PRO B450
Thermaltake Smart 430W

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermaltake Smart 430W
How old is the PSU in your build? That might very well be your issue...might want to source a reliably built PSU and try powering up the platform. You should also include the storage for the build in your specs.

If you're able to get into BIOS, what version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Mar 7, 2023

Thermaltake Smart 430W
How old is the PSU in your build? That might very well be your issue...might want to source a reliably built PSU and try powering up the platform. You should also include the storage for the build in your specs.

If you're able to get into BIOS, what version are you currently on for your motherboard?
[/QUO

Thermaltake Smart 430W

The PSU is hardly 2 years old, and the only real consumer drive I have is a Silicon Power A60. All my other drives were ripped out old laptops, and external hdd casings. One of my drives ik is a 500gb Samsung nvme ssd
the other is some Hitachi drive that I took out my dad’s laptop. He wanted his laptop to run a bunch of Linux distros like dual boot but more so I put a 2tb drive in that laptop and put 8 different Linux distros in it. If I do need to replace Psu, would I need to replace every other part too? And bios version is E7B86AMS.MH0

two hours after I edited this reply to what you asked(now) I decided to test some hard drives to see if they were dead, one of them I’m not sure about. I plugged it into a hard drive to USB adapter, and it didn’t come up on windows. Not so sure if it was dead still, so for kicks and giggles I plugged the adapter into my Mac. It detected the hard drive, but it only found the system reserved partition on the drive, claiming it had 50mb capacity. So I’m not sure if it’s dead, or hidden. Computer would always fail to format it. Plugged in drive number 2 to adapter. Showed up on Mac and on windows, but not when plugged in like every other drive(through mobo) I used a multimeter to test the SATA plugs, and it read just fine. They’re supposed to give out 3 volts, five volts, and 12. Showed those exact results. So it’s gotta be the mobo, right? Another problem I have is my old ssd. I got a pcie to m.2 adapter, since my mobo doesn’t have enough m.2 slots for 2. The adapter has an led, and lights up when plugged into mobo, and used to show up! Until recently. I have no m.2 to usb, so I can’t test it. It showed up before, so it’s mobo again right? But it doesn’t make sense, since I just bought the mobo after suspecting the old one. Could it be Psu and mobo now?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS