Question Windows writes something when user stops certain things in Task Manager ?

danny009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Usually happens with certain processes that aren't system related that is the programs I stop, also happens with Steam games stopping by hitting the STOP button on Steam library directly. System process itself suddenly and magically writes TONS OF stuff what it seems to me to the disk for a few minutes which slows down my PC greatly. This is a Windows 10 20h2 desktop pc. I do not have junkware or anything like that as far as I know on this computer. My only guess is writing log files, Windows loves to write log files to my SSD since the day I purchase. Didn't have such a thing on Windows 7 if memory serves right.

Is there any way to stop this from happening? It is literally kills my pc when it happens can't do anything else as it occurs only for a few seconds to few mins.
I'd like to stop this by not using any additional software if possible, don't wish to harm my pc.

Thank you so much good madams and good sirs

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
"I do not have junkware or anything like that as far as I know on this computer." Based on what testing? AV and something like Malwarebytes?

I have not seen this on any of my win10 systems, so I don't think it's a Windows thing. What are your specs for your PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
System process controls memory management. Its in the middle of almost everything that happens on your PC.
The system process is responsible for the system memory and compressed memory in the NT kernel. This system process is a single thread running on each processor. It is the host of all kind of drivers (network, disk, USB). The related file name is C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe.

The system process in Windows 10 has a additional task, it is compressing old pages of memory so that you have more free memory to use. That's why this process may use a lot of memory.

So its probably normal after you close a steam game that the system has to juggle memory for a little bit.

how much memory/storage in that PC? if you lacking ram, it might need to use page file more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran