Windows XP 64 Bit partition on an Windows 8.1 PC

FettlenTinker

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
I have a plethora of games that are native to XP that I wish to play on a Win 8.1 PC. I have read
a lot of solutions on this site as to how this can be achieved. Despite this I do not really want try them as I think I might have an easier solution that would save me a lot of work. So my idea was to create a partition on my 8.1 PC and install XP on it. I realise XP is no longer supported and if I allowed it access to the net there would be security issues. So with that in mind I thought I would be better off installing it on its own HDD and turning my router off whenever I used it. As I'm sure you have all realised by now I'm not very tech savvy and this may well be the dumbest idea you have heard all year. My sincere apologies if this is the case.
So my question is will either of these ideas work ? And are there any pitfalls that would deliver unto myself a world of pain and grief ?
Thank you for reading.
Sincerely FnT.

Solution
Hi

are you using standard XP (32 bit) ?
or XP 64 pro (related to server 2003) ?

Things to bear in mind before starting:-
Installing XP after Win Vista or later usually screws up the later operating system startup files
so you are left with XP only untill your repair the start up system for later Windows

If you motherboard supports F12 or F11 or F8 to select boot device you could disconnect the sata cables for Win 8.1 HDD

Check BIOS options as if you have win 8 chances the manufacturer set boot options to Win 8 (64 bit) or latter only (secure boot)

If Win 8.1 HDD uses GPT partitioning then XP can not read that disk which is a good thing as XP tends to destroy restore points on Later Windows

If you go ahead
Install XP to other spare...
Hi

are you using standard XP (32 bit) ?
or XP 64 pro (related to server 2003) ?

Things to bear in mind before starting:-
Installing XP after Win Vista or later usually screws up the later operating system startup files
so you are left with XP only untill your repair the start up system for later Windows

If you motherboard supports F12 or F11 or F8 to select boot device you could disconnect the sata cables for Win 8.1 HDD

Check BIOS options as if you have win 8 chances the manufacturer set boot options to Win 8 (64 bit) or latter only (secure boot)

If Win 8.1 HDD uses GPT partitioning then XP can not read that disk which is a good thing as XP tends to destroy restore points on Later Windows

If you go ahead
Install XP to other spare hard disk

Then after re connecting Win 8.1 HDD go into UEFI/BIOS to ensure Win 8.1 HDD is default boot device

default will be Win 8.1 but if you press correct F key you can start up XP

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

FettlenTinker

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response. I am intending to use Win XP Pro 64 Bit. After reading your answer I think I will plump for the separate HDD route. It would seem easier and less troublesome. I have no idea if my motherboard has F12, F11 or F8 function or if the HDD uses GPT partitioning, I don't suppose I need worry about GPT if I use a separate HDD. I will investigate this over the bank holiday weekend . Thank you again for your answer.

regards
FnT

p.s My apologies for posting in the wrong forum and thanks to the Mods for moving it.