Question Windows xp 64 pro, Blu-ray and Home Theater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2022
Hi all.

I am not sure this question belongs here, nevertheless, I'll try.

I didn't want to throw away my old Win7 computer with an MSI 1366 Mo-Bo/24 GB memory, so I made it into an experimental computer. Long story short, I upgraded the processor to an x5680 Xeon and reinstalled win7. Then, from my win10 computers I wanted a Home Theater installation into an AV receiver that has only audio inputs (no HDMI). This didn't work, since from Vista on, Microsoft has only stereo outputs for audio. Back to the 1366 computer, out was win7, installed XP64/SP2 because it's the last Windows that can be configured for audio 5.1/7.1 output. However, even SP2 doesn't have Blu-ray drivers. There is a patch file that Microsoft issued later, but since then they took it off their site. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD GET THIS FILE FROM?

You may also wonder why I want audio inputs into my old receiver, which many consider obsolete. Yeah, I have another receiver that has HDMI, however, I want COMPLETE control over audio, which is not possible via HDMI, since one is relegated to the controls/configuration of the receiver. I have a sound card that has real equalizers, as opposed to the flimsy discrete frequency imitation equalizers in an HDMI receiver's menu. Yeah, I could combine these equalizers with the regular bass/treble controls, but still can't nearly get what I want. I am a highly trained musician with and extremely discriminating hearing, so I need to correct sound and obtain as much fidelity as possible.

Thanks to anyone who knows where I can find that Blu-ray driver file. S.

Aug 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Perhaps try and install K-Lite codec pack? MSI have a number of X58 chipset boards, which one do you have?

Oh, it's the x58a-gd45, chipset, frameware updated, manuf #ms-7522 v.5.2. Its name may be Fusion, not sure. Believe me, i tried all possible codec packs compatible. It's not the codecs, since i also have a regular dvd drive in the computer and m able to run 5.1 dvds without any problems. Ditto on the blu-ray drive. It's only when it comes to blu-ray discs, when xp doesn't see ANY files on them, coming up with an error message (naturally) that there's no disk in the drive. This is the reason that the microsoft patch is necessary. And, btw, xp 64 is running rock solid on the machine. Thx for ur input. J.

Lutfij

Titan
Your Realtek codec should be able to work with Windows 10, in fact you could install all drivers in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from drop down menu).

Welcome, only trying to help.

Aug 4, 2022
Thank YOU for your help!

On my 2 computers, one Win7_64, the other WinXP_64 (I've also built another one with Win10_64), I have the ASUS DX 7.1 card. Both work fine in 5.1, giving me excellent effects, crisp speech and decent rendition of music (decent only because violin groups are a bit skinny and grainy, but this is due to non-professional DtoA conversion). What I am really looking for, though, it's BluRay playing, which I couldn't do on the XP computer. Now I finally found the UDF 2.5 package, even the 64 bit one, produced by Panasonic/Matsushita. Haven't tried it yet. This package contains many updates to XP64 where the OS 'sees' the files on the BluRay disk, an impossible task without the package. But I just downloaded it, so it remains to be seen whether the Matsushita package is universal indeed. I shell return with the results, as I presume that other people may be interested as well.

Thank you again, Yours, John.

Status
Not open for further replies.