Windows XP Install Failure

soldier87

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hey everyone, I have a Dell Latitude 810 that I am trying to restore that will not Install Windows XP. It will go into the initial setup and then it goes into a black screen with a flashing underscore. The system has had XP on it before but the RAM and Hard Drive have been replaced with new ones. Here is the Current setup:

Dell Latitude 810
Bios Version: A03 (07/04/2005)
Processor: Pentium M 1.73 Ghz
RAM: Dual Memory Channel mode w/ 2Gb installed and seen in BIOS
Hard Drive: 300GB WD Scorpio Blue

I have formatted the hard drive, installed OS using NTFS in both quick and normal configuration, attempted to install Windows Vista with the same issue. Any help that anyone can give will be very helpful. Thanks

Hello and welcome to Tom's Harware Forums.

You need to test your hardware to find the cause of this and the best way is by using a Linux operating system that can work from the CD and only impact on RAM and not the hard disk. There are many different builds and you might find a free one on a magazine cover but you can also download free. My personal favourite is PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com. Burn it to a CD, pop it in th slaptop and within minutes, you'll be working, online and able to check whether the hardware works properly.

soldier87

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
i downloaded the linux OS and ran it on the system without a problem. but when installing XP i still get the same error. It will go through the initial file transfer and then black screen with a flashing white cursor

soldier87

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
The final story is:

The hard drive is too large for the current system firmware. I set the install at 100GB and it is now taking it. After it installs i will attempt to extend the partition to the full hard drive space and upgrade the capabilities. I figured it out using a couple other forums. Here is the link that sparked it though. Thanks for your help.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/30240-137-gb-size-limit-harddisks.html

Aah - the old 137Gb trap - they fixed that in SP3 so a slipstreamed up to date disk wlil get around it. Well sorted anyway.