Windows XP Keeps Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Friday i had finished setting up a computer w/ windows XP Pro; I had set
it up on the network and everything. I come in on Monday and It got as far as
the log-in screen, where you are to press ctl alt + del to get started. I did
that and the computer restarted. So far i think it may be a faulty driver or
something, cuz i am trying to reinstall windows, because i don' tknow of
anything else to do. I can't do that because everytime i put the cd in and
reboot it, tels me to press any key, i do, then the setup windows pops up,
and you can press enter to run setup or R for repaid or something else.i
press enter and i get the blue screen of death, i forgot to write down teh
error message. But no matter what i tryi am alwas having to restart that
computer before it starts up completely. If it isn't me restarting it, it
will restart itself.
Can anybody help me with this problem?

Hi,

Can you try booting into Safe Mode,
When the PC starts, continously tap the F8 key, select safe mode from the
list and press enter, you will have to hit enter again to select your
operating system.

If you can get into Windows

Boot from the CD at the first screen press R to get into recovery console
Enter your Admin password and hit enter
at the prompt type:
c:\chkdsk /r if this fails c:\chkdsk /f

Allow the scan to complete, type exit and press enter, allow windows to
startup.

If if does not startup we willl have to try replacing the system hive.
Blue screen of death could point to hardware or hardware drivers.

to replace the system hive:

1. Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to repair a Windows XP
installation by using the Recovery Console.

3. Type the number that corresponds to the Windows installation that you
want to repair, and then press ENTER. For example, type "1" (without the
quotation marks), and then press Enter.

4. When you are prompted for a password, type the local Administrator
password, and then press ENTER. (If you are not prompted for a password, skip
to the next step.)

5. Type "cd system32" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

6. Type "cd config" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

The command prompt will be similar to the following (where <Windows> is
the folder in which Windows is installed):

C:\<Windows>\System32\Config>

7. Type "rename system system.old" (without the quotation marks), and then
press ENTER.

8. Type "copy c:\windows\repair\system" (without the quotation marks), and
then press ENTER.

You receive the following message:

1 file(s) copied.

9. Type "exit" (without the quotation marks) to quit the Recovery Console,
and then start Windows as usual.

"JeremyH1982" wrote:

> On Friday i had finished setting up a computer w/ windows XP Pro; I had set
> it up on the network and everything. I come in on Monday and It got as far as
> the log-in screen, where you are to press ctl alt + del to get started. I did
> that and the computer restarted. So far i think it may be a faulty driver or
> something, cuz i am trying to reinstall windows, because i don' tknow of
> anything else to do. I can't do that because everytime i put the cd in and
> reboot it, tels me to press any key, i do, then the setup windows pops up,
> and you can press enter to run setup or R for repaid or something else.i
> press enter and i get the blue screen of death, i forgot to write down teh
> error message. But no matter what i tryi am alwas having to restart that
> computer before it starts up completely. If it isn't me restarting it, it
> will restart itself.
> Can anybody help me with this problem?

it gives me the option to boot in safe mode. But when i do, it loads up the
drivers and whatnot, and when it gets to MUP.sys it restarts. No matter what
option i choose, it restarts, i can't get into Dos Prompt to copy anything,
or format, or check the disk drive.

Hi

The mup.sys is you drivers file,

Were you able to go through the steps to replace the system hive?
Were you boot into recovery console,

To get into recovery console,
Put you windows XP cd in the drive, restart the PC press any key to boot
from the CD.

It should give you a blue screen with a blue screen and a white bar at the
bottom
Select r to get into recovery console
and then complete the steps i gave you previously

"JeremyH1982" wrote:

> it gives me the option to boot in safe mode. But when i do, it loads up the
> drivers and whatnot, and when it gets to MUP.sys it restarts. No matter what
> option i choose, it restarts, i can't get into Dos Prompt to copy anything,
> or format, or check the disk drive.

May I ask if you did a clean install or an upgrade? Did you upgrade from
windows 2000? If so it is likely that you have a similar problem to many
people, your question is in the wrong area really since this is not a direct
X problem. You will need to do a fresh install.

It is best to get your files backed up (use ghost if you have it) onto
another drive. If you are unable to get into windows at all, see if you can
do an install but put it on another partition to be able to get your data off
if you need it off.

Then back to square one I am afraid,

Forget the repair, if you haven't been able to get into windows at all it is
likely that the function will not help in your case.

- Dave T

"JeremyH1982" wrote:

> On Friday i had finished setting up a computer w/ windows XP Pro; I had set
> it up on the network and everything. I come in on Monday and It got as far as
> the log-in screen, where you are to press ctl alt + del to get started. I did
> that and the computer restarted. So far i think it may be a faulty driver or
> something, cuz i am trying to reinstall windows, because i don' tknow of
> anything else to do. I can't do that because everytime i put the cd in and
> reboot it, tels me to press any key, i do, then the setup windows pops up,
> and you can press enter to run setup or R for repaid or something else.i
> press enter and i get the blue screen of death, i forgot to write down teh
> error message. But no matter what i tryi am alwas having to restart that
> computer before it starts up completely. If it isn't me restarting it, it
> will restart itself.
> Can anybody help me with this problem?

Hello again,

Ok just read through your mail again, it sounds like you might have a faulty
MBR (Master Boot Record). If you can get into the recovery part of setup,
then type fixmbr it might solve the problem. If that doesn't help then I am
not sure what the problem could be. It could also be that a virus got into
your MBR in which case this should help too. If you manage to get into
windows, get your anti-virus scanner to check your drive, make sure you have
the latest updates.

Greetings,

Dave T

"JeremyH1982" wrote:

> On Friday i had finished setting up a computer w/ windows XP Pro; I had set
> it up on the network and everything. I come in on Monday and It got as far as
> the log-in screen, where you are to press ctl alt + del to get started. I did
> that and the computer restarted. So far i think it may be a faulty driver or
> something, cuz i am trying to reinstall windows, because i don' tknow of
> anything else to do. I can't do that because everytime i put the cd in and
> reboot it, tels me to press any key, i do, then the setup windows pops up,
> and you can press enter to run setup or R for repaid or something else.i
> press enter and i get the blue screen of death, i forgot to write down teh
> error message. But no matter what i tryi am alwas having to restart that
> computer before it starts up completely. If it isn't me restarting it, it
> will restart itself.
> Can anybody help me with this problem?

chagh

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi all,

I have a problem like this. I've got a win XP home and a Win XP pro both on my Dell laptop. It had a virus (the recycler one wich creates a autoplay.ini file in disk drives).

I tried to remove the virus by using an antivirus (symantec), removing the recycler and autoplay files and also removing them from the registery of my windows (the home one). In the registery, I removed the key and values of the commands of hard drives which referred the autoplay.ini file in the recycler folder of that drive.

The problem is that: after I restarted my laptop, It just showed me the list of two windowses but when I choose one and press enter, the laptop restarts again!!

I tried to start both windowses in the safe mode, or load the last config of them that worked properly by pressing the f8 button, but it restarted again!

I also tried to use the win XP CD to recover it (recovery console, using chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, copying system file from the repair folder to system32/config) but I could'nt. Also I formatted one of the drives and installed a new version of XP on it (the professional one) but it didn't help also.

Now, grateful to you for your patience in reading this long post, I wanted to ask if there is any way I can fix this problem.

Thank you very much in advance,
--Sherry

mannyr

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I tried installing Win XP SP2 and it gave me an "access denied" error. It then went into a reboot loop with mup.sys as the last entry before starting the loop again. It would not let me into safe mode or last good config or any of the choices. I went into Recovery console, ran chkdsk, fixmbr, etc with no luck. I tried a repair install with no luck. I remembered reading that the boot.ini file gets modified by SP2. I checked on another system what an SP1 boot.ini file should look like. I saved it to a floppy, went back in to Recovery console and copy/replaced the boot.ini file in the problem machine. That worked! It stopped the loop and allowed Windows to load. Your mileage may vary.

nascargirll88

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
MUP.SYS ERROR is an error in your MBR (master boot record) and thereefore an R (repair) will not work! You need to reboot with your Windows XP CD in the rom, then go all the way to the F8 prompt!! Once there DO NOT FORMAT.. then hit R.. (there are at least four ways of repairing with the disk) hope this helps.. rememeber to go as far as F8 before repairing! Good luck.

[...]

TRENDING THREADS