Windows XP Pro 32bit to Win 7 Pro 64bit Upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lknowlton

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Can I have the XP Pro 32bit upgrade version and install the Win 7 Pro 64bit upgrade version?
I've not been able to get a clear answer on this.
Please note I'm not trying to run an upgrade from xp to win 7. I know it will be a clean install. That said, will Win 7 Pro Upgrade allow me to install the 64bit version if it sees a 32bit upgrade version of XP? People go off on tangents about upgrade and clean installs. Please read the question. Thank you!

arges86

Distinguished
OEM is usually tied to the motherboard. So you can usually upgrade the HD, CPU, ect. and have no ill effects.

With the rise of internet forums (like this one) there is very little use for 'official' tech support. My experiences w/ them have been largely negative anyway

infernis

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Agreed, what I usually deal with is someone reading from a book who can't really and doesn't fix my problem to begin... untill I get on the forums such as this and look around.

Just curious was version of windows 7 are you using and have you tried out the others by chance I wish I got in on the beta testing. I'm thinking of going for pro edition. but thinking home could be just as good mostly, at the moment my current comp can run windows 7, but my other 2 can't their hardware is not up to par. So I'm concerned with netwroking issues for win7 and winxp. winxp and vista didn't like to talk to each other either from what I've seen from personal experiance. but maybe I screwed something up there. any clues??

arges86

Distinguished
I use Home...
if you want to be able to run a virtual xp mode, or have encryption, then get Professional or Ultimate.
I've built a pc w/ ultimate and it works well (my friend wanted to run a virutal xp). There are no 'Ultimate Extras' in Win7 (but they were awful and a rip off in Vista).

The networking was made much easier in Win7. One of the main improvements.

Pravake

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Windows + R brings up the run dialog
type in msconfig
go the to Boot tab, and then delete the OS you don't want...
then all you have to do is go into disk manager & delete the partition w/ the old OS on it

www.pravake.blogspot.in