Question Windows xp sharing printer to windows 10

theyikes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
Hi! Firstly let me begin by telling you what I have with regards to my network.
I have a windows xp sp3 pc sharing a Canon IR1600 printer and a windows 10 home pc which I'm trying to connect to the xp box.
I have them both setup on a network named bullet.
My problem is That from the xp box I can see both the xp machine and the windows 10 machine, but From the windows 10 machine I can't see any computers connected to the network.
Is there a fix for this problem?
If you need anymore info please ask.
Thanks
TheYikes

theyikes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
Hi! SgtScream and jsmithepa. Firstly SgtScream The shared printer on the xp machine is simply called canon. Secondly jsmithepa I'm not at home right now so I'll have to check the dns ip later.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. I'll post back later and let you know how I get on.
Thanks.
TheYikes

theyikes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
HI! I'm trying to setup a printer on an xp machine as shared so I can print to it from a windows 10 machine. Iv'e got it up and running to the point where I can send a job from the 10 box and it shows up in the queue of the xp machine as a
"Remote Downlevel Document"
But that's where it stops.
The xp machine is xp 32bit
The 10 box is 10 home 64bit.
The printer in question is a Canon IR1600
Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks
TheYikes

You have to install the appropriate drivers for the windows 10 architecture. Your xp machine is most likely 32 bit, however windows 10 is 64 bit. You can either right click on the printer on the xp machine, then go to sharing tab where you'll see this setting -or- go to the windows 10 machine, right click on the printer and select advanced tab then new driver. You can then select a predownloaded driver from the manufacturers website.

theyikes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
Iv'e been running the pcl6 drivers on both the XP box and the 10 Machine. I've just come across PCL5 drivers for both 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Could it be a driver issue again?

It's definitely driver related. Did you add both x86 & x64 driver to the xp machine where the printer is being shared?
There's two ways to accomplish this:
  1. On the xp machine = Right click the printer > sharing tab > additional drivers.
  2. On the windows 10 machine = Unc path to the xp machine by opening file explorer and typing in "\\<computer_name>\<Shared_Printer_name>". Then install windows 10 drivers for the printer when prompted.
Note: Make sure the windows firewall and antivirus is disabled on the windows xp machine.

theyikes

Reputable
Aug 21, 2018
It was the drivers that were at fault. I switched from the PCL6 drivers and installed the PCL5e drivers and it's now up and running. Thanks for all the tips SgtScream couldn't have done it without you.
Thanks
TheYikes

Reactions: SgtScream