Windows xp-Taskbar, Icons disappearing, can't open task manager

tomohotaru

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
So, I found my way here by googling that my taskbar and desktop icons disappear at start-up (they show up for about three seconds.) If I hit ctrl+alt+del while the icons are visible the task manager shows up, but then it disappears with my icons and everything else. It seems like all the answers I found here were to run the task manager and open the explorer.exe or something similar. The only keys that I can seem to get to work is Windows Key+L to log out of the desktop and shut down the computer. The last thing that i remember doing before the icons disappeared was putting in a cd to rip, but it had an autoplay feature, so it opened its own player, I canceled it and ejected the CD and then everything disappeared. Thanks for any help!

The last thing that i remember doing before the icons disappeared was putting in a cd to rip, but it had an autoplay feature, so it opened its own player, I canceled it and ejected the CD and then everything disappeared. Thanks for any help![/quotemsg]

I don't want to be an alarmist, & don't know what CD you are referring to, but you may be infected as a resulte of the CD autoplaying.

You should 1st try to system restore to a date prior to error starting.
Also, try sfc /scannow from command prompt.

If the system file checker or restore is useless, I would definitely run anti virus and anti malware scans.

tomohotaru

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
It was just a regular music cd, nothing crazy, lol. Also, I can't get anything to run, so I'm not sure how to run anything from the command prompt if I can't get it open. When I ctrl+alt+del to open the task manager it doesn't open. An hourglass appears for half a second like its GOING to do something, but it doesn't come up. I can only get it to open for a few seconds, but when the taskbar and icons disappear, so does the manager.

And booting into safe mode does not work also ?

You have no Windows CD to Boot from ?

Then you will need a working computer to burn a rescue CD.

tomohotaru

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Well. I've been working my behind off and just now figured out how to start my computer in safe mode, lol. That works, so now I'm hoof to try a system restore for a few days ago and see if it works :)