[SOLVED] Windows10 computer will not start up unless I open & close the CD drive?

snowy12

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
My homebuilt windows 10 computer will not boot up unless I open & close the DVD drive ,don't have a problem if I power down in Sleep Mode only when I shut it down.
It doesn't happen if it restarts after doing updates.Also I do have a DVD in the drive I will take it out and try ,see what happens unless anyone has any idea what could be causing the problem?

Solution
Shame, you have to replace the hdd with an m.2 that can run up to 35 times faster than a hdd :D

that or buy another cd drive.
hmm, one is cheaper but other is so much better.
I wouldn't choose the cheap option.

With m.2 you don't need fast start up. I turned it off right away as if you also unplug PC at any stage, having it off seems to reduce chances win 10 will corrupt itself. I seen people unplug PC with fast start up on, change something in PC and then find windows won't work. With it off, the PC is actually off at shutdown.

Colif

Win 11 Master
a driver of some description

It doesn't like win 10 power modes, clues are it works after a restart but not after a normal shutdown

I have to think the cd drive has its own drivers? maybe. Not that many have cd drives these days.

if you have a SSD as boot drive you could turn this off and it won't happen - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

fast startup makes HDD look faster than they really are but old drivers don't play nice with it.

snowy12

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Turned off fast boot and computer started without having to O/C DVD drive ,but had to wait a while for it to start .around 45sec to a minute It's an i 7 8700 16 gig of ram with a SATA H/D Boot .

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats the down side to turning fast start up off, slow starts on HDD.

So choice,
  1. buy ssd to replace hdd
  2. figure out what driver the CD is using and see if there is a new one
  3. just have slow boots

If you want to try number 2
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find the cd drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

snowy12

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Just checked the DVD driver it's the latest version but on going deeper I found it was set for region 3 not 4 which is Australia put a dvd in and it immediately came up with the DVD name in the bottom right corner which it has never done before so may be that was the problem ,will find out tomorrow on restart fingers crossed

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
Shame, you have to replace the hdd with an m.2 that can run up to 35 times faster than a hdd :D

that or buy another cd drive.
hmm, one is cheaper but other is so much better.
I wouldn't choose the cheap option.

With m.2 you don't need fast start up. I turned it off right away as if you also unplug PC at any stage, having it off seems to reduce chances win 10 will corrupt itself. I seen people unplug PC with fast start up on, change something in PC and then find windows won't work. With it off, the PC is actually off at shutdown.

Solution