wink2k install prob, help quick please!!!

G

Ok i have my brand new 1.2 ghz 266 fsb 512mb ram computer in and i am tryin to install win2k. It didn't come with boot disk, so i just booted of the cd rm. everything was going fine until it asked me to insert a previous version(its an upgrade) when i put in my old 98 cd it can't find it, stopping the installation in it tracks. I don't know what to do, any suggesions? thanx

dryfly

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
wHEn I got my win 2000 upgrade disk I had to have win 98 installed on my computer first. If you have a new computer you have to install win 98 and then upgrade to win 2000.

Later

<font color=blue>You don't know what it is, but it's there. Like a splinter in your mind.</font color=blue>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have Win2000 Upgrade and I've installed it on many "clean" systems. I've never had to install Win98 first. I just pop in the Win98 CD during the install and it recognizes it with no problems.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

yeah, there is a bug in win 2k that crops up in some rare installs (not too rare since its happened to me more than a few times)....sometimes during install the correct cd-rom drivers are not loaded. this tends to hamper the install when you swap disks or after you reboot. microsoft has done a 'whitepaper' on it....an easy fix is to install win 98 first, then when installing win 2k during configuration options choose 'copy files to hard disk first'. this way it wont need to access any cd roms......

ignore everything i say

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
yes, the problem used to occur on win95 too, (possibly 98 too- cant remember), where when you rebooted during setup, if asked for the location of the cab files, you went to browse, and LOL no cd drive!!, this is why I always copy the win98 folder to hard drive and setup from there- also eliminates the need to insert the cd everytime you install someting, back to the problem, Ive not come accross this, but how about booting from the 98 cd, copying the cd to the hdd and telling win2k where it is? now this may or may not work but erm, well its all I can think of- sorry, best I can do :(

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

yeah, one of the 'fixes' microsoft recommends is just that....to copy the whole 'i386' file to the disk first, or to use a network drive to pull the files from. however, my experience has proven that win2000 sort of addresses this bug (im sure unintentionally) by allowing the user to select 'copy all files to disk' during installation. you have to select 'custom' install, then at the options menu, go to something like 'configuration' (there are three options, just check them all out before proceeding) and select 'copy all files to disk'. at this point you can also choose to 'manually set the installation partition during setup' if you need to do this.....

I would still recommend that you install 98, then install win2k using these settings. of course, copying the 98 cd to disk before win2k install wouldn't hurt, and is a pretty good idea.

ignore everything i say<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by antivirus on 07/14/01 12:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>