winlogon.exe high CPU usage

aciddemon123

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
Hello.

When i'm playing games , my fps goes down a lot due to "winlogon.exe" process , according to task manager it goes up to 40-50 CPU usage , which is what makes my fps go down in games....i've tried doing virus scan with several anti virus , but it found nothing.
I am running Windows XP 32-bit.

Thanks.

Well you probably do have a virus, a lot of the time they will hide by pretending to be a Windows Service. What I'd do is download Process Explorer and run it immediately at startup. Find the winlogon.exe process that's eating up your CPU and check the process tree to see what spawned it, and that should point you in the direction of the infected file.

I'd also say you really need to get off of Windows XP and onto a newer OS. Microsoft discontinued security updates for XP over a year ago, and it is extremely vulnerable to attacks and viruses as a result. I wouldn't go on the Internet with an XP machine these days without a crapload of extra precautions like script blockers, and being extremely careful about where I'd visit and what if anything I'd download.

TRENDING THREADS