News WinRAR Flaw Let Hackers Run Programs When Opening RAR Files, Patch Issued

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the benefit to using winrar over say 7zip?
In my experience, for average home user it doesn't matter much which one you prefer to use -they both work and I have installed both.
I mostly use WinRAR because it has more "friendly" UI (for compression and other settings) and it also can compress/decompress zip files and decompress 7-zip files... which makes it kinda universal.
On the other hand, 7-zip can open/extract some additional formats (ISO, wim, etc.)
If you compress big amount (GB's) of files then depending on content of files, sometimes 7-zip is better compressor and sometimes rar is better... means, if you repeatedly compress big amount of the same type of data, then it's worth to check which of these two does better job for you (so you can save some storage space).
Other than that, my impression is, that 7-zip is faster at decompression -again only maybe important at big amount of data. On the other hand, I think WinRAR gives user more control over compression settings -to save as much space as possible.
In summary: it's a personal choice :)

In my experience, for average home user it doesn't matter much which one you prefer to use -they both work and I have installed both.
I mostly use WinRAR because it has more "friendly" UI (for compression and other settings) and it also can compress/decompress zip files and decompress 7-zip files... which makes it kinda universal.
On the other hand, 7-zip can open/extract some additional formats (ISO, wim, etc.)
If you compress big amount (GB's) of files then depending on content of files, sometimes 7-zip is better compressor and sometimes rar is better... means, if you repeatedly compress big amount of the same type of data, then it's worth to check which of these two does better job for you (so you can save some storage space).
Other than that, my impression is, that 7-zip is faster at decompression -again only maybe important at big amount of data. On the other hand, I think WinRAR gives user more control over compression settings -to save as much space as possible.
In summary: it's a personal choice :)
If you are that focused on compressing files you can use Xigmanas or Freenas to create a dataset with gzip or lz4 compression.
With that setting the compression is automatically done (inline compression) when you copy the file to storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.