Wire a PSU for use in Dual CPU Build

Kaisa_Sosa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

I just planned out a new dual Xeon rig for my servers at home and was wondering how I am to wire the PSU as many just have one connector for a CPU?

Thanks in advance

Solution
There are some prebuilt cables to connect PSUs that way on Ebay and other places too, but I strongly advise just getting a PSU that has two CPU power cables.

Don't try to Frankenstein components in ways they weren't meant for, their warranties surely don't cover such usage. This saves a lot of hassle, especially if something goes wrong. You do NOT want one PSU failing while the other is running fine in such a configuration. Shorts everywhere :(

Again, buy a high-end EVGA power supply. These have two CPU power connectors. Something like a G2 750W will have the proper connectors and you can verify this on the product's Newegg page or EVGA's product page.
With more details about your planned components, we'd be able to help better. Many PSUs have the correct connectors to support dual-processor boards. Most cases can't accommodate dual PSUs.

If you have a server chassis, you might need a different form factor PSU.

It is best to get a PSU with two CPU power plugs. EVGA's higher end models tend to have two EPS (8 pin CPU power) connectors, for example.

If you need to use a PSU without two plugs, then you can use a splitter, but this will be much less safe. You're increasing the voltage drop of the wires and greatly increasing the current running through the PSU's side of the splitter.

Kaisa_Sosa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

I plan on using the Cooler Master Cosmos II so it will be an atx power supply, and i was hoping for one power supply with 2 cpu connectors. But i have no idea if they even exist

There are some prebuilt cables to connect PSUs that way on Ebay and other places too, but I strongly advise just getting a PSU that has two CPU power cables.

Don't try to Frankenstein components in ways they weren't meant for, their warranties surely don't cover such usage. This saves a lot of hassle, especially if something goes wrong. You do NOT want one PSU failing while the other is running fine in such a configuration. Shorts everywhere :(

Again, buy a high-end EVGA power supply. These have two CPU power connectors. Something like a G2 750W will have the proper connectors and you can verify this on the product's Newegg page or EVGA's product page.

Solution
Here is a cheaper model with two CPU plugs if you want to go cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Here is a better one if you want something more efficient:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438026&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

One last suggestion, a really nice Platinum model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438055&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It's quite concerning to me that you have provided 3 recommendations on PSU without even knowing exactly what components the OP wish to power. Clearly this person has limited skill/experience in building based on the original question and subsequent responses, so I think it may be irresponsible to suggest a PSU without knowing the potential load - how many graphics cards, etc.... I know he said "server", but ...