[SOLVED] Wired and wireless routers...

dtvonly

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
Hi. Most, if not all, routers these days are wired router with wireless access point combo. Here is my question: from my cable modem is 200mbs. How is this data rate distributed among each of the wired ports and the wireless access "port". Say there are 4 wire ports. Does each of the 4 wired ports gets 200mbs, or each gets 50mbs? Regards.

Solution
Hi. Most, if not all, routers these days are wired router with wireless access point combo. Here is my question: from my cable modem is 200mbs. How is this data rate distributed among each of the wired ports and the wireless access "port". Say there are 4 wire ports. Does each of the 4 wired ports gets 200mbs, or each gets 50mbs? Regards.

Are you talking about your internet speed is 200mbs? That does not really matter when it comes to the switch speed to the computers or other devices. The bandwidth is shared among the devices and is managed by the router as to how much each device gets. A router network port speed would not be 200 but some factor of 10, 10/100/1000 Mbps are the most common, with some going to 10gb (10000...
It depends on how fast the ports are in some ways. If they are only 10/100 then the fastest a single machine can go is 100m. So if you only had 2 machine each could use 100m each. If you had more than 2 machines or the ports are gigabit there is no method to evenly share. The machine all try to get as much as they possibly can. Since there is only 200mbps it will be divided but how exactly depends on what the machine are actually doing. Some applications are better at hogging bandwidth than others. So my best answer is there is no good way to predict.

Are you talking about your internet speed is 200mbs? That does not really matter when it comes to the switch speed to the computers or other devices. The bandwidth is shared among the devices and is managed by the router as to how much each device gets. A router network port speed would not be 200 but some factor of 10, 10/100/1000 Mbps are the most common, with some going to 10gb (10000 Mbps). In a perfect theoretical setup, yes if you have 4 devices then each of them when maxing out the speeds they need would get 1/4 of the bandwidth you have to the ISP, but that often does not happen. You can use router settings to tweak things to prioritize some devices and network traffic type over others, in general though just leaving things at default is fine and will prevent issues when someone configures a setting without knowing what it does.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
It is distributed by workload at the moment.

If only one device is actively doing something, it can potentially use the entire 200mbps (depending n what the upstream server can deliver).
If multiple devices are downloading something all at the same time, each gets a portion.

2 devices talking to one another over the internal LAN can transfer at a full gigabit. It does not go to the outside world.