Wired internet connection but no internet

justin_dukkha

Honorable
Apr 2, 2014
I have a desktop machine connect wired to a router. I don't usually turn it off, but I did last week and now I'm having connection issues. First time I had isssues ii restarted my machine and that worked, last time I switched cables and that worked. This time neither of those option worked. When I have this issue Firefox and IE won't even start up or are just taking a really long time to start.

I've updated windows recently too. The cpu is an xeon with a ssd. I have an image of
my ipconfig: http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9386/DWwJmG.png

Solution
That 169.254 ip address in the pic you posted (I would say) will be the reason why it wont connect

Go into the properties of the network adapter and give it an ip address under the ipv4 entry

justin_dukkha

Honorable
Apr 2, 2014

Thanks, I would rather have a static IP address anyway. Now I just need to google how to do that.

The ip address you type in, MUST be within the range of the modem/router you're using.

If you login to the modem with 192.168.1.1 then you use any ip address starting with 192.168.1.x. If you login to the modem with 10.1.1.1 then you use an ip address starting with 10.1.1.x

WHAT do you type in to login to the modem, and what did you type in under properties?

Also make sure the gateway is the modem's ip address

gorfmaster1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
When you receive a 169.x.x.x Ip address it means your computer did not talk to the DHCP on the router. it is very possible that your network cable has either failed or came loose. You can try unplugging it and repluging it into the computer. Have you tried ipconfig /release ..../renew commands to refresh the connection?

justin_dukkha

Honorable
Apr 2, 2014

Yes, I tried that. I actually plugged it into another rouer and still no luck. Also when I shut down it takes almost 5 minutes versus normally only a few seconds.