Wired Keyboards Remotely Hacked From 20 Meters Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OH WOW!
...this technology has been around for about 20 years couting from now.
it not only enables the keystroke capturing but also video capture from crt monitors [doesnt work on lcd tho, as those run on digital signalling... unless u use vga cable instead of dvi] anyway LASEC is the first non-military organization to develop this technology.

G

I'm the first :D
Don't care if you rate this comment negatively!

G

They didn't do the test on powered PC's and laptops...
Wanted to see if laptops where safe...

stakt21

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Interesting someone is reporting and testing this type of stuff after so long. The military has been on top of this for 40+ years. They call it EMSEC. (Emanations Security) Equipment that comes in contact with any Classified information goes through TEMPEST tests and/or has to meet certain regulations that remove the likelihood that these "compromising emanations" will be intercepted. For example: separating Classified and Unclassified equipment/cables/etc, and having these items in a controlled area.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I don't understand why they remove the monitor, cpu, and power supplies from the tests? That's a pretty large & bulky antenna to use "stealthily" (not 2 mention all of the other bulky equipment they're using.) I think that with all of the other ambient signals ALL over the place, it would still be pretty difficult to capture stuff from ATMs (which usually use milspec stuff anyways) or from business or home environments. Also, who the f types at that speed?

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I wonder, considering the amounts of power a cpu needs to operate, how far would reach the electromagnetic radiation emited by cpu or by it's power traces?
That signal is in a ultra-short wavelength and is somehow related to all the machine does. it could reach far enough to get intercepted. not sure how hard it would be to decode.

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if shielded cabling / devices will have the same effect? If not, this may be a way for companies to work around this issue?

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I wonder also if the EMF from the monitor and computer (all the fans, power supply, etc) would cut the range to almost nothing... that would explain why they produced the videos with everything turned off except for a small, closed laptop.

G

ok, two things get to me:
*) the removal of NEEDED items (people don't go around swapping out their PC for a laptop all the time, or unplugging from the mains with no monitor to prevent interference).
*) the fact the programs to decode the sequences stopped running automagically.. How does it know you've stopped typing "password"?

Smells of "FAKE" to me..

G

Never heard of The Cage of Faraday? Simply to manufacture and quite sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.