'Wireless' 2Mbps Internet Using Blinking LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Great, more ammo for the paranoid... Saying they're sensitive to lights, so no net based on LED's...

Seriously..... Although it sounds cool, I think it's not so practical as LED's have generally low lifespans especially when they're almost always blinking.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom] it's not so practical as LED's have generally low lifespans especially when they're almost always blinking.[/citation]What planet are you from?
LED's have amongst the longest lifespans of any bulb on this planet.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Hospitals do not allow cell phone or wireless technologies of any kind because it interferes with medical equipment that also uses wireless on same band. If this technology proves to be reliable it would be an alternative to prevent interference.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
But what if all those electromagnetic waves are undesirable to you? Then perhaps blinking lights are more to your liking.

Uh, aren't "blinking lights" still emitting electromagnetic waves? =p

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]Great, more ammo for the paranoid... Saying they're sensitive to lights, so no net based on LED's...Seriously..... Although it sounds cool, I think it's not so practical as LED's have generally low lifespans especially when they're almost always blinking.[/citation]

generally low life spans? are you talking about LED's that last 25,000 hours (and still shine 70% of what they were at when new after the 25,000 hours) ,or halogen and incandescent bulbs which typically burn out at 1,250 and 2,500 hours, respectively?

As far as i knew, LED's are the most efficient man-made visible light source we have.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Verrin[/nom]Uh, aren't "blinking lights" still emitting electromagnetic waves? =p[/citation]

yes but at a much longer wave length, thus being a lot less "harmful" if you can call wireless harmful.

peanutsrevenge

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
This seems like a dead end technology IMO, walls are a major issue for radiowave wireless, using light for the medium would require a new wall building method, possibly using fibre optics running through them.

Dead end!

G

"But what if all those electromagnetic waves are undesirable to you? Then perhaps blinking lights are more to your liking."

and what exactly is light? if not an electromagnetic wave...??

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]Hospitals do not allow cell phone or wireless technologies of any kind because it interferes with medical equipment that also uses wireless on same band. If this technology proves to be reliable it would be an alternative to prevent interference.[/citation]
Having hospital equipment on heavily used public frequencies seems to be a problem that they should be focusing on fixing, not the consumers.

Morse code with flashlights at night not good enough for you? Why not hget a truckload of little LED's?

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]yes but at a much longer wave length, thus being a lot less "harmful" if you can call wireless harmful.[/citation]
Shorter. It's just that we live with daily bombardment from visible and infrared light. Anything other wavelength range and people start worrying - microwaves, radio waves, ultraviolet, gamma and x-rays.

[citation]This seems like a dead end technology IMO, walls are a major issue for radiowave wireless, using light for the medium would require a new wall building method[/citation]
Like glass? Technically radio waves have no trouble with walls. Cell phones and wireless routers use the microwave band, which almost everything absorbs or reflects.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Weren't the infrared ports that used to be on laptops a bit faster than this and basically used the same principle except the LEDs were infrared instead of visible light...?

kryten42

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008

Maybe you haven't been in a hospital recently. My last several trips I've asked about cell phones, and they've stated that as long as the patient isn't on a heart monitor, that cell phones and other wireless is just fine.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]yes but at a much longer wave length, thus being a lot less "harmful" if you can call wireless harmful.[/citation]

Visible light has a very short wavelength compared to radio frequency EMF.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blood_dew[/nom]Now can they secure it?[/citation]
Unless it is encrypted the same way wifi is, which also fires off an indiscriminate bubble of signal, at least a light can be directed in a fairly straight line. I suppose a laser beam would have been even better, but im sure the blue colour has some significance here.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Not every pic you see on here is going to be 100% accurect to the story, sometime there not really related at all....http://www.tomshardware.com/news/P [...] 10311.html[/citation]

That may be true, but you cant tell me they dont have a picture of an led

Status
Not open for further replies.