Question Wireless Access Point or Router?

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Good evening.

Due to recent room reassignments, re-configuring my network is necessary.

While many of my devices are wireless, this feature was disabled as they were all connected via Cat 5e to the router.

I don't have the desire to open walls and run new Cat 5e to the new locations, so I have enabled the wireless feature on all devices. However, there is ONE device which does not have built in wireless. It is a DVR to which my security cameras are recording.

I would like to connect the DVR via its Ethernet port to a device which will allow it to connect to the wireless router.

Do I need a router, access point or some other device to make the connection?

Thanks
Dom

I would if it is any possibility move the DVR to where the router is so you can continue to use ethernet. It depends I guess how many cameras you have but since you will be getting a constant fairly high rate of data. This will make it hard for your other devices to no have poor wifi performance.

But as mentioned above you need a device that can appear as end device..ie client mode. They used to sell these for game consoles and tv that only had ethernet but they are hard to find. What you can use is called a "extender" or "repeater". These are primarily sold as wifi repeaters to extend the range of a router but they can be run in client mode.

Still I would not go that route if there is any other methods you can use than wifi.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I would if it is any possibility move the DVR to where the router is so you can continue to use ethernet. It depends I guess how many cameras you have but since you will be getting a constant fairly high rate of data. This will make it hard for your other devices to no have poor wifi performance.

But as mentioned above you need a device that can appear as end device..ie client mode. They used to sell these for game consoles and tv that only had ethernet but they are hard to find. What you can use is called a "extender" or "repeater". These are primarily sold as wifi repeaters to extend the range of a router but they can be run in client mode.

Still I would not go that route if there is any other methods you can use than wifi.

Yes, my preference would be to move the DVR. But that would require my having to re-run video and power from the current location to the new one. And I wouldn't be streaming the video full time. I just want occasional access.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
I do appreciate the quick responses. But before I move the DVR, along with the video and power cables to a new location, I think I may just pull a new Cat 5e from the DVR to the new router location.

Was looking for a wireless alternative.

Thank you.

I see old style cameras. Mine all run ethernet and I keep them all on a separate network because they put out quite a bit of traffic combined.

Just buy a "extender/repeater" that has a ethernet port. You can configure it to run as a client only. You do not actually want to use the repeater function it will cause unneeded interference by creating a copy of the wifi signal that you are not even going to use,.

Reactions: Dom46