Wireless Adapter Compatible with Fios router?

c_howard78

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I need a way to make my desktop wireless. I've been looking at my options and I am leaning toward a wireless adapter. The Trendnet TEW-687GA N450 Wireless Gaming Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-156-310) is the one I am looking at right now. I'm hoping someone can help me determine if it is compatible with my verizon fios router. I'm pretty sure this is the router I have, FiOS Router GigE (MI424WR) http://www.verizon.com/smallbusiness/products/business-FiOS-Internet/FiOS-equipment/fiosInternetOverview.jsp?smbReferenceValue=SMBFIOSInternetEquipmentRef

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Solution
That adapter should have no issues connecting to the router. It will in theory run at 300m just like the router. It is very tough to even guess how well things will work. In general there is not a huge difference between most routers and most pc adapters. This is a very mature product line and they pretty much all use the same 2 or 3 chipset providers. The big difference are between people houses and certain combinations of equipment and houses just do not go well together. This is why you find top rated routes with people saying they work like garbage and other saying they are the best router ever. It is mostly the difference in the house not the router. All this means is you have to try it yourself.

I would...
That adapter should have no issues connecting to the router. It will in theory run at 300m just like the router. It is very tough to even guess how well things will work. In general there is not a huge difference between most routers and most pc adapters. This is a very mature product line and they pretty much all use the same 2 or 3 chipset providers. The big difference are between people houses and certain combinations of equipment and houses just do not go well together. This is why you find top rated routes with people saying they work like garbage and other saying they are the best router ever. It is mostly the difference in the house not the router. All this means is you have to try it yourself.

I would still run a ethenet cable as far as you possibly can with that adapter you are going to use. The less distance the wireless has to cover the better.

Solution