Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway together with ADSL Router

I have installed an ADSL router from 3Com to which I have connected all my
cable-devices (computers, Playstation, printers). The address to this router
is - as always 192.168.1.1

I also wanted to use some wireless equipment, så I bought an Wireless 11g
Cable/DSL gateway. This equipment also has the address 192.168.1.1.

I have connected the Wireless gateway to the ADSL router, but I am not able
to get into the wireless gateways logon.

Any suggestions?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:58:58 +0200, Arne Fredriksen <apfred@online.no>
wrote:

> I have installed an ADSL router from 3Com to which I have connected all
> my
> cable-devices (computers, Playstation, printers). The address to this
> router
> is - as always 192.168.1.1
>
> I also wanted to use some wireless equipment, så I bought an Wireless 11g
> Cable/DSL gateway. This equipment also has the address 192.168.1.1.
>
> I have connected the Wireless gateway to the ADSL router, but I am not
> able
> to get into the wireless gateways logon.
>
> Any suggestions?

Both routers can't have the same IP-address. You should be able to change
it. If you have the same ADSL router from 3Com as I have (3C855) you can
change it in the "LAN Settings" menu.
Since both are routers/gateways you also have to to configure them to
different networks.
e.g ADSL router to have IP/Netmask 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 and the
wireless gateway to have IP/Netmask 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0.

In general, you only want one device that can function as a router.

If the wireless 11g cable/dsl gateway is a router, then you will have some
problems. It it is and if you can, return it for a wireless access point
instead of a wireless router (since you already have a router). To use a
router as a wireless access point, you need to turn off the built-in DHCP
server, you may need to manually assign it an IP address, and you need to
make sure that you connect it to the router via a LAN port and not the WAN
port you would usually use to connect it to a cable/DSL modem. Also, in
general, a router can only be configured from a LAN port so your computer
must be connected to the LAN port of the router being configured.

If the gateway is an access point, when connected to the network, it is not
supposed to request an IP address and it is not supposed to be on the same
IP address as any existing device (so it should not choose be 192.168.1.1).
While it will not request an IP address, it will occupy one (generally,
somewhere in 192.168.1.x). This is because most people have cable/DSL
modems that will only assign one IP address. If the access point requests
and is assigned that single IP address then you cannot use any wireless
devices unless your cable/DSL modem is allowed to assign a second IP
address. This is not the case for a wireless router that will request an IP
address and then all devices connected to the router will appear to
send/receive data from that IP address. So, if you have a wireless access
point, you need to locate its IP address. This is usually done by using a
utility provided by the manufacturer. Since you state that it is supposed
to be found at 192.168.1.1, it seems that you have a wireless router instead
of an access point.

-Yves

"Arne Fredriksen" <apfred@online.no> wrote in message
> I have installed an ADSL router from 3Com to which I have connected all my
> cable-devices (computers, Playstation, printers). The address to this
router
> is - as always 192.168.1.1
>
> I also wanted to use some wireless equipment, så I bought an Wireless 11g
> Cable/DSL gateway. This equipment also has the address 192.168.1.1.
>
> I have connected the Wireless gateway to the ADSL router, but I am not
able
> to get into the wireless gateways logon.
>
> Any suggestions?

"Arne Fredriksen" <apfred@online.no> wrote in message
> I have installed an ADSL router from 3Com to which I have
connected all my
> cable-devices (computers, Playstation, printers). The
address to this router
> is - as always 192.168.1.1
>
> I also wanted to use some wireless equipment, så I bought
an Wireless 11g
> Cable/DSL gateway. This equipment also has the address
192.168.1.1.

> I have connected the Wireless gateway to the ADSL router,
but I am not able
> to get into the wireless gateways logon.

Daft question, but presumably you've changed the ip address
of the wireless gateway?

P.

I solved it by using only the wireless Gateway as my main router. The other
one I will sell - or keep as spare-part.

Thank you all for great answers that I learned a lot from.