Wireless Cable router?

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
I'm looking at getting the Linksys EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL (BEFW11S4) with a coupla Linksys Instant Wireless™ PCI Cards (WMP11) to set up a home network. Do you guys have any opinions about this setup? Do you recomend against the wireless thang? Or do you recommend another brand or combination?

Thanks in advance,
Ret

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
that is supposed to be a pretty good setup, linksys has a good rep. i would not recomend wireless unless it was necissary, wired is far more reliable and faster.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Thanks... I'm mainly going the wireless route for convenience. As far as speed goes, it should be adequate for gaming, no?

And what about security with the 802.11b (I think) stuff? Supposedly there are three security pieces that someone would have overcome to get in... is this a major concern?

Ret

it doesn't look like ppl frequent this thread as much some of the others, eh?

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I posted the follow two paragraphs in response to another post about an 802.11a solution, but I think it applies to your question, too.

I just went through an extensive search and decided to go with the 802.11b. It is much slower, but it will be compatible with the soon to be released 802.11g. The 802.11g will provide 54Mbps and connect to my 802.11b machines. In case you would like a recommendation, I purchased and recommend the Asante FR3002AL-1PCM. It uses a PCMCIA card in the router, and should allow for a card swap to the 802.11g when released.

You'll find a lot of very good information on <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/" target="_new"> DSL Reports </A>.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Thanks, that is good information..

So why did you go with Asante? I'm not sure I understand whole purpose of the PCMCIA card?

Supposedly one will be able to update the firmware on the other 802.11b models to get to 802.11g?

Also, when companies say "4 ports" does that mean that you can hardwire 4 devices and then also use 200+ other devices on the wireless side?

Ret

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I checked with quite a few companies and couldn't get a commitment on 802.11g firmware upgrades. The Asante is a two port (hardwire) router that has a slot (in the router) for a wireless PCMCIA. Without worrying about a firmware release, I know I can just upgrade the wireless part of the router without incurring the expense of a completely new wireless router.

The other things I liked about the Asante were the print server and dial up redundancy.

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
One more thing. If you read on the Asante site that it was a 4 port router, I think you were looking at the FR3004 (not wireless). Their wireless product is the FR3002AL.

JCC