[SOLVED] Wireless card does not present itself at all?

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hello, everyone. It's been so long since I've posted much here on TH! I'm hoping to get some advice on this laptop I have. I've seen some threads with this same issue, but it seems many people are left scratching their heads...I'm hoping I won't be another one of them forever!

I have an HP Pavilion 17-g015dx with a strange issue, where the wireless card does not show at all under Device Manager. I've tried everything from re-seating the card, all the way to trying a different one while booted into Windows PE (so 100% separate from the fresh Windows 10 installation on the drive), with no results. It also won't show anything in Linux's lspci. And lastly, there seem to be no BIOS options, and pulling the BIOS battery doesn't help. There is zero indication of any wireless card in the system, nor are there any unknown devices of any sort, thus I've eliminated everything to do with driver issues. The slot is M.2, by the way.

As this is a newer laptop, there's no wireless switch aside from an Airplane Mode key, which hasn't changed anything no matter what, as the airplane mode in question isn't the issue.

At this point, I'm feeling like it's a motherboard issue, but I really, really don't want to accept that -- the boards are in excess of $100 for the Core i7-5500U version that I have! I'm not at all afraid of installing a replacement motherboard (I've done it countless times in other machines), but that price...shudders

If there's any other information I need to provide, please let me know. Thanks so much, and have a great day!

Solution
How new is it? Is it still under warranty?
If it's more than a couple years old, it would not surprise me if the slot failed. Rather than replacing the board, I'd probably look towards a USB Wireless adapter.

-Wolf sends

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
How new is it? Is it still under warranty?
If it's more than a couple years old, it would not surprise me if the slot failed. Rather than replacing the board, I'd probably look towards a USB Wireless adapter.

-Wolf sends
Doubtlessly albeit regretfully, there's certainly no warranty on it anymore. I really do hope I can get the internal wireless card to work again somehow! I'll keep USB wireless in mind, for if I cannot get the internal to work again. Thanks for your help!