[SOLVED] Wireless connection "dropping" inconsistantly but frequently

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
So maybe about 2 weeks ago I started having issues with my PCs connection to the internet. I'm using a wireless adaptor mounted in a PCIe slot. It's a TP-Link Archer T8E. It happens rather frequently but can stop for like 10 minutes with no hiccups. However it can occur as frequently as every 5 seconds. When the drop happens I get major packet loss and the games I play are essentially unplayable because of it. This occurs over multiple different games. It usually corrects itself within 5-10 seconds. According to windows 10 I never fully lose connection to my router, it just experiences the packet loss as I've interpreted. I've tried restarting my PC, router, modem, and I can't think of anything I've installed recently that may have changed something. The only things I've really been installing are games through steam and nothing else. This happens even when I'm the only receiver on the router as well as when multiple people are on it. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for what may have suddenly caused the issue?

Mobo: ASROCK Z 170 extreme 4
CPU: Intel i5-6600K @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
PSU: Corsair RMX 750M

Last edited:
Solution
5Ghz is great for long signals, but obstructions can cause issues. 2.4Ghz is better for short range and obstructions. I’d see how the 2.4Ghz works for you.

I've been using the 2.4GHz signal for the last 2 days and I haven't really had issues with packet loss now. So I think the problem was the wall. I find it odd how it suddenly became a problem after I've been using it for months. Oh well.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
Could be driver, could be frequency interference. Router model? Distance? Obstruction? All these are important to know.

Have a netgear router. Unsure of specific model # but it looks like this https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNR3500L.aspx
So I assume this is either the model or part of the same series.

Also have AT&T U-Verse Modem? maybe router? https://www.amazon.com/U-verse-Gateway-Internet-Wireless-adapter/dp/B0779ML8SS

It says this one does both? It's what I have but they both function. Keep in mind they've always been online together. TBH though I'm unsure if I need the netgear one at all.

Distance is aprx 1 room over. maybe 15-20 meters at max, and theoredically it goes through a wooden wall. Shouldn't be any thicker material since it's an interior wall but idk, i'm not an architect. Not sure if signals choose the best pathway, i.e. though opening such as doorways or go through all materials for direct path. The modem is running 2.4GHz signal so 1 wall really shouldn't be hampering it immensely. May be a good idea to update the adaptor driver though.

Sorry if any of that is too vague.

Last edited:

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
Try this first. Go into your settings for the ATT modem and make it a gateway instead of a router. I think they are conflicting against each other. Typically you don’t want the modem and router both acting as a router that close together.

So i turned off the netgear router and I'm still connected to the internet, so I don't think that's required. The problem still persists though. I seem to have much better stability in the evenings for some reason. Maybe it has to do with overall network traffic?

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
Which were you connected to before? The router or modem? How many devices are connected?
I'm connected to the AT&T U-verse router + modem combo. At most there's probably 6 devices connected. 4 at minimum. I found out that the router I was using was using a 5GHz signal when applicable. My PC is within range that it was using that signal instead of the 2.4GHz, and because of the wall it's possible that was causing the packet drop. I switched off the 5GHz signal for now. Want to see if there's a substantial improvement.

I'm connected to the AT&T U-verse router + modem combo. At most there's probably 6 devices connected. 4 at minimum. I found out that the router I was using was using a 5GHz signal when applicable. My PC is within range that it was using that signal instead of the 2.4GHz, and because of the wall it's possible that was causing the packet drop. I switched off the 5GHz signal for now. Want to see if there's a substantial improvement.
5Ghz is great for long signals, but obstructions can cause issues. 2.4Ghz is better for short range and obstructions. I’d see how the 2.4Ghz works for you.

ShadowLinkX37

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019

I've been using the 2.4GHz signal for the last 2 days and I haven't really had issues with packet loss now. So I think the problem was the wall. I find it odd how it suddenly became a problem after I've been using it for months. Oh well.

Solution