Wireless dropped out of nowhere

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I just upgraded my internet from 50Mbit ( I know its about time) to a 1Gigabit. For the past month I have been getting around 275 on the speed tests through wireless with both an ASUS pcie card and an Alfa usb, up to 875 on ethernet. Last night and today I can only get 25 at most on wireless (even with a computer 2 ft from the router) and still 850-900 wired.

Only thing that has changes was that my wired server was powered off then back on.

My question is could my fios router be broken? It's a modem router combo from verizon.

Solution
850-900 is likely pretty good for the internet part. It's going to be difficult to test if your LAN is slowing it down. Programs like iperf can simulate TCP. have you been able to get more? a lot of 1G plans are oversold and people don't get what you are.

If you want really good wifi Unifi APs in multiple locations. Most of the time it's limited by the host's radio.
Unifi has good features to handle multiple clients with good throughput. Wifi isn't ready for 1Gbs.
Running ethernet to everything you want better than 300Mbs to is going to be the best bet.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
The thing is chaotic wolf. I have another wifi (linksys router) already connected going through my domain controller which is still pumping out over 300Mbps.
I paid $150 for the faster better router that was working at around 325 Mbps then just stopped. I have tried resetting it and it still is only giving me 65 on a good day.

850-900 is likely pretty good for the internet part. It's going to be difficult to test if your LAN is slowing it down. Programs like iperf can simulate TCP. have you been able to get more? a lot of 1G plans are oversold and people don't get what you are.

If you want really good wifi Unifi APs in multiple locations. Most of the time it's limited by the host's radio.
Unifi has good features to handle multiple clients with good throughput. Wifi isn't ready for 1Gbs.
Running ethernet to everything you want better than 300Mbs to is going to be the best bet.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Solution

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
Thank you all for this, I found that the 5GHz portion of the router failed and the 2.5GHz was supplying/connected to several devices that I was unaware of (security cameras and about 5 phones) when I logged into the router.

Again thank you for all of your help I would love to run cat 5 or cat 6 if it is cheap, but I can't get it upstairs because the way the floors of the second floor were built. I'm working on a solution to get a fiber line from my server closet upstairs.

monoprice is a good place to look. 1,000 ft cat6a CMR UL listed UTP around $225, keystones and patch panel $75. If you are running fiber for 10G keep in mind that you can't terminate it diy. so you have to figure out how to get the ends through the walls/floor. cat6a for 10G with keystones and patch panel with the pairs next to each other makes it easier to terminate with minimal untwisting. I haven't tried 10G yet so I'm not sure if you can do it. You will have to buy patch cables because crimping for 10G is much harder than punchdown.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

I'll have to look into it. I know about the fiber and have access to ends and cable. All I need is a patchpanel and cable. But before I do anything I need to figure out how to get it up through the wall to the second floor. The house has a weird offset wall that makes wiring with drywall installed difficult