Question Wireless extender question

mikeis65

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
I am running Win 7x64 with a WRT54G Linksys router converted into a repeater with DDWRT firmware. I have a wired ethernet connection to the repeater from my PC and also a wireless connection in Windows 7. I installed a wireless extender in hopes of
getting a better signal for one of my security cameras and it turned my ethernet connection into wireless somehow and now I can't access my router. The only way I could access my repeater before was with my ethernet connection. Is there any way to get it back to what it was. There is no uninstall for the extender. I have unplugged it but that made no difference. Thank you for any help.

First that router is so old it should have been in the trash years ago. It is going to run extremely slowly both because it is only running 802.11g, which they now call wifi3. You are running ddwrt on a box that has a tiny cpu and on top of this you are running it in repeater mode which will cut the speed in 1/2 again. If you get 10mbps out of it I would be surprised.

This is one of those what did you change the IP address to when you set it up in repeater mode. I would do a factory reset on the box. It will still be running ddwrt but it will remove all the configuration and you can try again this time keeping track of the IP.

Other than to configure the device you do not want your pc plugged into the repeater. What you are in effect doing is using the repeater as a wifi nic card that is connected via ethernet rather than say a USB cable.

You want to use the wifi nic card in your machine to get a connection directly to the main router. You likely will get much better speed since I assume the nic card in the pc is much more modern that that old repeater. This could be tricky if you set the SSID the same on the repeater and main router. You might want to run different SSID on the 5g band and only use the repeater on the 2.4

mikeis65

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
First of all the router or repeater is only used for my ip cameras. I use wireless for my internet connected to the main router. The IP DID NOT CHANGE. It is still the same, the only thing that changed is in my network connections my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller now also says Wireless 1B61(5G). That was the question is how that got changed from just installing a wireless extender. I know how old my router/repeater is and it works just fine for what I use it for. I can't understand why all these different forums can't try and simply answer the question asked and instead go on about your equipment. Thank for your answer anyway I guess i'll figure it out myself!!!!

I see I thought you were using the extender as a wifi.

That is purely a name windows is really stupid sometimes.

I can't say why you can't access it. You should have set the IP as the same network as the main router but on a IP outside the DHCP pool of the main router. If you are using a different subnet or worse it is using the same IP as your main router you are going to have lots of issues. You will likely have to manually configure the ethernet port on your pc so it has the correct network.

TRENDING THREADS