Wireless Internet by Flicking Lights On and Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Interesting but nothing new. IrLAN has been around for a while and it was proven a long time ago that the LEDs on modems can be used to monitor communications remotely.

Demonslay335

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I think this is a brilliant idea, but it may have some adverse effects. For example, even though the lights are flashing faster than the eye can perceive, I wonder if it would still have effects on a person's eye since it is a flashing light still, just like LCD monitors still have effects on people because of this.

Also, I would still find the security to be bad in terms of reliability. "Heya John, how's it go... oh no, I just covered your modem with a folder and you lost all of that data you were just uploading, too bad!" And you could probably confuse or scramble someone's data by flashing a flash light across the room... I do realize there's an equivalence of all of that with WiFi though, with jammers and all, but it would be much less genius to have a laser pointer on you, lol.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Demonslay335[/nom]I think this is a brilliant idea, but it may have some adverse effects. For example, even though the lights are flashing faster than the eye can perceive, I wonder if it would still have effects on a person's eye since it is a flashing light still, just like LCD monitors still have effects on people because of this.[/citation]

The rate at which the LED's change state is MUCH faster than an LCD's refresh rate. For a data rate of 3Mbps you're talking probably closer to a 5MHz switching rate to take into account error correction code and protocol losses. That is much faster than humans can perceive.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]when I saw saint cloud I was like.YES!!!Then I saw Minnesota and went.Aww!!![/citation]
I said YES!! to both. Teehee.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
the bandwidth could get bigger, when using tri or quad color leds.
Nothing can get inbetween the direct path of transmitter and receiver, without seriously slowing down the transfer, and unless you're physically shielded, its pretty easy to tap off the connection from another laptop,as signals could be received many feet away, perhaps even half a mile away from the source.

On the laptop/netbook/intelligent phone or whatever receiving device, something like a .25mW led should be sufficient to transmit back to the source, if you're sitting relatively close under the light.

The good thing is there won't be any harmful radiation floating around.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Demonslay335[/nom]I think this is a brilliant idea, but it may have some adverse effects. For example, even though the lights are flashing faster than the eye can perceive, I wonder if it would still have effects on a person's eye since it is a flashing light still, just like LCD monitors still have effects on people because of this.Also, I would still find the security to be bad in terms of reliability. "Heya John, how's it go... oh no, I just covered your modem with a folder and you lost all of that data you were just uploading, too bad!" And you could probably confuse or scramble someone's data by flashing a flash light across the room... I do realize there's an equivalence of all of that with WiFi though, with jammers and all, but it would be much less genius to have a laser pointer on you, lol.[/citation]

Fluorescent lights flicker at about 120 Hz, so if that is the kind of lighting these are replacing, it would be an improvement on that basis.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Sounds incredibly expensive, completely wasteful, a maintenance nightmare to have a modem on every desk, and painfully slow.

Let me guess... It was a government contract.

G

"less prone to interference"

Really? Wouldn't putting anything non-transparent between the modem and the lights defeat the system completely?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
"lighting method is more secure and less prone to interference" - another good idea, a super WIFI and now this. But this one is much greener - I wish the technology will come where don't use too much energy.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Demonslay335[/nom]I think this is a brilliant idea[/citation]LOL. That is a shining commentary.[citation][nom]Demonslay335[/nom]For example, even though the lights are flashing faster than the eye can perceive, I wonder if it would still have effects on a person's eye since it is a flashing light still, just like LCD monitors still have effects on people because of this.[/citation]I take noticce that incandescent lights already flash 50/60 times each second.

Status
Not open for further replies.